Chapter 66

7 weeks.

Poppy is 7 weeks pregnant, which means she is getting her ultrasound this week. Her first ultrasound.

Although my sister and I haven't talked properly in like two weeks, I still know what's going on in her and Oliver's lives. Due to Oliver always spilling things when either Jake and him hang out or just when me, Oliver and Isabella hang out.

My first ultrasound is two weeks away from now. Just thinking about it gives me butterflies. Poppy is much more sensitive than me, I can't begin to imagine what she's feeling this week.

"Why are you two girls not chatting?"

I flipped through the Thai restaurant menu, looking for drinks. "Well, ever since that night you and dad told us you're splitting....she just won't talk to me mum."

Finally I found the drinks, skimming through the list quickly. "Well, you girls shouldn't be fighting. You are both pregnant and need to be surrounded by happiness and non-stressful situations."

"Mom. I'm a nurse, I experience stress everyday except on a weekend like today. Sunday is my beautiful day to soak in the stress-free environment then back to work tomorrow!"

"You're such a hardworking person Olivia. I'm so proud of you." My mother told me, looking forward to me. I could see her with the corner of my eye. I looked up, syncing eyes with her and reached for her hand to hold.

"How are you feeling mom?"

"Not quite as relieved as I would have thought I would have been after splitting up with your father. I thought that I would be delighted and just set free. I'm not doing too well, I miss him and us together but it was not working with the two of us."

"Yeah, I understand that."

"So Poppy is getting her first sonogram tomorrow."

"Oh yes! I knew it was this week but didn't know the exact day." I told my mom. "Has she been talking to you?"

"Yeah, neither of you have gone to see your father yet correct?" She asked, looking around for the waiter. "Gone where? Has he moved out?" I questioned her.

"Indeed, Just around the corner by where Poppy lives in town."

"Ah yes I see. Did you make him move out?"

"No he decided to." My mom informed me right before the waitress came.

"Hi ladies! What can I get you?" The red-haired petite 20-something year old girl asked us. I looked down at my menu, double checking what I was going to order.

"I will have a English Breakfast tea love, and Olivia are you ready to order food as well?"

"Yep! You order your food first." I told my mom, smiling at her and then the waitress who returned the kind gesture.

"Alright, yes I will just have the croissants with ham and cheese." My mother ordered as the waitress jotted down notes.

"And would you like a fruit salad or coleslaw with that?"

"Coleslaw sounds lovely!"

I giggled at how weird my mother was. "And for yourself?"

"I will just have English Breakfast tea and the spinach leafy salad. Side of fruit instead of dressing please. Also no cheese."

"Alrighty, I will just take your menus and be back with the tea!" The red-headed lady spoke after writing our orders on her mini notepad and taking the menus.

"Thank you!" My mother replied as she walked away. We then continued talking all about our family and what's going on with my friends. When the drinks and food came later, we talked about my relationship with Jake and my upcoming ultrasound.

"Wow, I still can't believe both my daughters are pregnant at the same time! Poppy is two weeks ahead of you but still! It's such an exciting time for you girls."

"I know! Jake and I are super elated that i'm pregnant. He kept asking me when we would start trying for a baby and then all the sudden when we least expect it, I'm pregnant! I actually didn't think I was ready for a baby, but I feel like I am now. Although I'm super frightened for when he or she comes."

"When you came home from the hospital, Poppy was only 2 or so. She didn't know exactly what was happening but I came home from the hospital with a baby and she thought you were a doll." My mother laughed, placing a spoonful of coleslaw into her mouth.

"That's hilarious." I laughed along, reaching for my cup of tea.

"I know. I miss those days, you're father and I were so young and now i'm old."

"Aw, well just think. In 9 months you will be having grandchildren to spoil. And for Poppy, only 7 months!"

"That's exciting! So i'm assuming Jake is coming to the sonogram with you?" My mom asked. I sipped my tea slowly before replying.

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Well I was hoping you would invite me? Poppy said she doesn't want me there because it's awkward."

"Of course mom! I'm having mine next Wednesday and you can totally come. We will fetch you on the way there."

"Perfect, what time?" I placed my tea cup down in the saucer and answered. "4pm is our appointment."

"Okay that sounds great. All done eating? Ready for our check?"

"Yes, i'm going to pay this time. You can pay next time." I laughed, searching for my wallet in my bag.

-
"Yep! My mother said she will come with us at 4pm Wednesday. We just have to fetch her."

"Alrighty." My husband replied, placing his hand on my waist as he spooned me in bed.

The lights were off but we were just chatting, like every other night. I felt a wave of anxiousness hit my chest, making me dig my head into my pillow and breathe out heavily with a sigh.

"What's the matter babe?" Jake asked me, turning me over to face him, our bodies close.

"I'm nervous about the ultrasound...what if something is wrong with the baby?"

"Honey, it's too early to tell. As soon as you see our baby up on the screen i'm sure you will feel utterly excellent. I'm certain nothing is wrong, just breathe and think positively."

I breathed in, resting my head on his chest as my husband held me close.

"I love you." I told him, kissing his neck softly before trying to drift off to sleep.

"I love you, both of you." His hand moved down to my belly, keeping it placed there for a few moments and kissing my forehead.