Chapter 71

"Who gets to determine when the old ends, and the new begins? It's not a day on a calendar, not a birthday, not a new year. It's an event. Big or small. Something that changes us. Ideally, it gives us hope."

-Olivia's POV-

Sometimes life can get in the way of your decisions, even emotions. It can affect you negatively, making you not realize when you really need to make a big change. I hadn't known somebody close to me needed to make a huge change until that night.

The night that Jake had asked me an important question, but I was distracted by my friend needing a change in her life to make up my decision.

-Saturday, March 25 2016. 5:14pm-

Placing my key into the keyhole and unlocking it felt like a routine every single day, Jake and I had a number keypad but I felt more human using a key instead of electronics.

I unlocked our front door, getting home before Jake today. I stepped in the house and shut the door behind me.

Placing my jacket on the hook and my keys on the small counter by our door. I placed my purse on our cozy bench and removed my shoes.

Letting out a big sigh, I walked up our stairs and into the kitchen to turn on the kettle.

Little to no lighting was coming into our house so I was forced to turn on the lights needed to brighten the house. I heard the kettle boil as I walked into our bedroom and into the closet, removing my clothes and quickly changing into pajamas.

"I'll shower in a few hours." I told myself while I placed my dirty clothes and scrubs into the hamper in our closet.

All the sudden, I heard the front door open and Jake walked inside. I smiled widely and went to hug him once he finished placing his things down.

"Hi my love, how was your day?" My incredible husband asked me. I breathed in, still my arms wrapped around him. He smelt like hospital.

"Busy, yours?" I asked, leaning back and kissing his cheek softly after speaking.

"Well, several surgeries. I'm exhausted. Shall we order take-out for dinner?" He suggested.

I immediately nodded and let go of him, running to the phone booklet I made and searching up the number for the Chinese place we get food from.

"Normal?" I asked.

"Normal. As always." Jake scoffed and walked into our kitchen to make the coffee I never started. The kettle had finished boiling already.

-
"So you know what I was wondering?" Jake asked at the dinner table while we watched our Netflix show 'Stranger Things'.

"What?" I asked, pausing the show and eating a forkful of noodles.

"Maybe...we should move? Do you want to move?"

I looked at him, swallowing my food and stared into his eyes. "Wait what?" I asked.

"I was thinking we could move into a bigger house. We're having a baby soon and need a bigger space. Plus for our future kids..."

My eyes widened.

"I-I don't know." I told him, still stunned by his sudden rush of everything.

"Take your time hun. Just know that i'm here and ready for you. When you want to."

I breathed in sharply and out again before looking away and un-pausing our show to watch again. I can't decide that now... we're already having a baby that I wasn't prepared to have. Now he wants to rush into more things.

Or maybe he's not rushing...maybe I'm delaying...
-
Jake and I had a quiet night in and just watched Netflix, read our books, each showered and then I decided to bake some brownies with Jake's help.

"Alright, now we bake them for 25 minutes until ready." I clapped my hands after we finished placing the brownies into our oven.

"Mmm, they already look fantastic!" Jake made a funny face while licking his lips.

I giggled and started piling the dishes into our dishwasher.

"Here let me do this, you go relax." He told me, taking the plate from my hands and kissed my cheek.

"Aw, thank you baby." I smiled, washing my hands and walking into the living room to go climb under the blanket and watch a Netflix show that Jake didn't watch with me. It's called 'Pretty Little Liars'.

Right as I was about to press play on my show, the doorbell rang. I got up, moving my blanket to the side and went to check who it was.

I swung the door open and it revealed Dawn standing before me with tears in her eyes.

"Liv, I screwed up."

-
"What exactly happened?" I asked Dawn as we stood in our extra bedroom where fairy lights I hung up brightly shined.

"I went drinking because...Jackson broke up with me. It was horrible. Then I was drunk and I wandered to Jayden's flat then boom all the sudden he went from taking care of me to taking off my clothes!"

"Oh my goodness...Jayden is Savannah's boyfriend though!" I gasped, placing my hand over my mouth.

"I know! And Savannah is my roommate!"

"Did he...take advantage of you?" I asked her seriously.

She shook her head immediately. "No no, it was consensual. I was teasing him. But he made the first move!"

I closed my eyes, taking in the information.

"What are you going to do?" I asked her.

"I don't know Olivia." She panicked, pacing around the room frantically. I walked over to her, stopping her.

"This is bad. Very bad. Jayden cheated with you on his girlfriend, your friend, your roommate."

"-Holy shit, I've destroyed my life."