Chapter 26

The months continued to breeze by, work becoming hectic for Connie. She sat in her office, looking at the test that confirmed her questions. Seeing him outside the door caused her to throw it in her draw, quickly getting on with some work. "I brought my favourite lady, her favourite drink." He smiled, placing it down on her desk. "Thank you... haven't you got work to be doing?" She asked, "Hmmm, haven't you heard of a break?" "I suppose." She teased.

She watched as he went to leave her, "Jacob." She called, "Sweetcheeks?" He smiled, "You know I love you?" "Course I do, I love you too." He grinned, "How longs left of this break?" "How long do you need me?" She smiled gently, shrugging as she looked to the coffee. He shut her office door, sitting on the sofa, "Come here." He spoke softly, she moved to sit with him. "I know work is stressful, but it will pass-" "It's not that." She exhaled, "What then beautiful?" "Remember on the plane? We spoke about babies." She whispered, he hummed keeping quiet, "You'd still like children?" He nodded slowly, "Yeah, if you would... We could start trying." He smiled kissing her head, keeping his excitement hidden, "About that... maybe we've tried enough." She uttered, "What?" he frowned confusion on his face as she moved to the draw coming back to sit with him, handing him the test.

He sat quietly, looking it over, "You are happy?" She asked. He nodded instantly a small tear falling off his cheek, "The pill?" He looked, She exhaled "The other month, antibiotics and in the heat of the moment I didn't think and afterwards I just stopped... just in case." She uttered, he placed it to the side taking her hand. She moved to straddle his lap, hugging him tightly "Stop crying, I'll start soon." She whispered, the pair laughing gently. She dried his eyes, "Sorry." He breathed, "Shh..." she smiled, he moved some hair behind her ear "I'm going to be a Dad Connie." He looked, she nodded with a fond smile, "I'm going to be a dad, a dad to our beautiful baby." He whispered, she kissed him softly, his arms moving around her.

She sighed as a knock echoed through her door, "Yes?" "Ms.Beauchamp, You're needed in resus." "Why am I needed?" She exhaled, "Erm well-" "Get Doctor Keogh or Gardner... I'm busy." She snipped, "Ms.Beauchamp." "I'm busy." Connie replied harsher, She exhaled as they were finally left alone. "Con?" "No, this place comes between everything these days, I just want to sit here with you, enjoying this together." She looked, he nodded kissing her.

"Ever since she's been with him, she's a completely different person... If he can't love her for who she is then why are they even getting married." Cal groaned as he stood chatting with Louise. "They're sweet." She smiled, "She's now risking patient care to spend time with him, any decent boyfriend would make her realise that." He sighed, "What are you talking about?" "All I'm saying is, if I was with her, she wouldn't have to change." "You're sounding jealous again." "Well I had a shot with her until he came on the scene... he walks around here like he's gods gift, he's the most irritating person to ever walk in this hospital." He snipped spitefully "Out of all the people she choses that. Literally anyone would be better than him, he's so frustrating Louise, walking around here rubbing it in my face." "What are you on about? You never had a single chance with her." Cal scoffed "Yet he's been around all of five seconds-" "A year." "Shut Up Louise." He sighed, storming off.

"My midwifery care... I want to go private Jacob." She looked, he nodded slowly "However you want to do it, we will, it's your body growing our baby." She smiled up at him, "You're happy?" He asked hesitantly "Yeah... scared but happy." She smiled, he laced their fingers up "We've got this beautiful." "I know." She smiled, kissing him softly, "My breaks really over Sweetcheeks." "Nobody wants you, just stay... they'll know where to look." "I'm going to be a dad Connie." He whispered, placing a kiss in her hair, "Say it one more time and you won't live long enough." "Can't a man be excited?" "You don't need to repeat yourself." She glanced, resting her head on his chest, "Don't go falling asleep Con." "I'm not." She uttered.