Chapter 40

"She'll never walk?" Connie frowned as she sat next to the crib, Jacob squeezing her hand "She might, She's not paralysed... if you look at her feet, her toes curl under and there's other things similar... with aid, I'm sure she'll be fine. Only time will tell." He smiled weakly, "Cerebral Palsy?" Connie asked, he shook his head "No, that's the thing... we don't know ourself... not an overall diagnosis." Connie sighed heavily, moving her hand, running the back of her finger over her daughters cheek. "What will her life be like?" She asked quietly, "It's hard to tell, we just have to see how she grows and develops." "So when can we take her home?" Connie asked harshly, "It could be weeks Ms.Beauchamp-" "Weeks?" She scoffed.

"She's still our little girl... still perfect." He smiled, "You don't get it Jacob." Connie snapped, tears falling down her cheeks, Jacob looked at her sadly. "Something went wrong within me... I'm suppose to protect her Jacob." "And you did... she's here now." He smiled, "So what if she never walks, she's here and we are going to love and care for her, just like we planned." Connie nodded looking to him "I'm sorry." "Shh, don't blame yourself beautiful." "You still love me?" He cupped her cheek, "More than anything... obviously not our girls." She smiled a little as he kissed her head.

"I don't like the thought of her alone." Connie commented as they got into the car, "We'll go home, get some dinner with Grace and be right back okay?" He smiled, she nodded gently. "It's going to be okay Con." "I hope so." She uttered.

"Why can't I see my sister?" Grace asked, "She's a bit poorly at the moment Firecracker." Jacob smiled simply, Connie pushing her food around the place rather than eating. "Will I be able to come home soon Mummy?" Connie looked up smiling, "Soon." Grace nodded continuing on to eat, "Con, you need to eat." He spoke quietly, "I'm not really hungry." She mumbled, "We need to be strong for her." Connie looked at him nodding. "Eliana will be okay?" Grace questioned, "Course she will Firecracker." Grace nodded, "Thank you." Connie whispered.

"How are you being so strong?" Connie asked as they sat watching her, "Because you need me too... besides you're tired and in pain." The pair looked at each other, "Yeah, I know you." He smiled, she moved to sit over his lap. "I'm sorry." She looked, he caressed her cheek "Don't you apologise for anything." He smiled, she sighed heavily. "Nothing ever goes to plan." "No, but we make the best of what life throws at us beautiful... you and I, we're tough cookies, just like she is."

"Sorry I've only just go up to see you." Charlie smiled as he stepped inside, "How's she doing?" Charlie questioned. "They don't know Charlie... they might not ever know what's wrong with her." Connie spoke quietly, "Things always seem worse while you're living through them... afterwards it's not as bad as you thought at the time." She nodded slowly as Jacob kissed her head. "I just wanted this to be perfect." "And she is... perfect in every single way." Jacob smiled.