12~ Tattoos

"You want me, to pick your tattoo?" He nodded and turned back to the designs like this was nothing big, but I felt an unbelievable amount of pressure.

I was just asked to choose the design that a leader would mark his body with forever. And Eric was acting like it was just some small task.

While I was thinking about the shit I could get into if I chose the wrong one, I circled the designs and started to feel like they were all staring at me, it felt like everyone in the shop was staring at me, I felt sweat running down my forehead and every few seconds I'd run my hand through my hair "please kill me" I whispered to whatever deity was watching.

My eyes seemed to be searching forever until I found the perfect one, it was similar to his arm tattoos only it was a simpler design, I pulled it down off of the stand and walked over to where he was perching on a stool, then a thought occurred to me as I was handing him the design, he was giving me complete control over this, and he never let anyone have control over him, for a brief moment I felt honoured.

Special.

"This one" I grinned, unable to contain the delight I was suddenly feeling.

For a moment he was silent as he looked over the design, he seemed pleased, he looked up and looked me right in the eyes as he said "okay" and got up to give it to a tattoo artist.

Eric insisted that I go first however, so I sat with a woman called Tori and sketched out my idea, it was a story my aunt used to tell me, something about the old-world religion or myths, something like that. She used to scare me with it whenever I misbehaved, that if I did these seven things I was impure. I didn't believe in sin, no one really did anymore, but my aunt was batshit crazy and she'd do anything to make me behave, I wanted to get something permanent to remind me of her idiocies, and that I was above her superstitions. I was having it done on my lower arm, starting at my wrist and stretching up to my elbow.

I regretted choosing something so complicated once the needle first poked my skin "ow!" Eric rolled his eyes at me while Tori continued with her work, I winced and repeatedly shouted ow until I admitted "I suppose now would be a bad time to reveal that I have a low threshold for pain- ow!"

"Hold still"

"Sorry"

Eric was almost smirking at me "if this hurts then you probably chose the wrong faction"

"Yeah, you'd think-" I hissed as Tori hit a sensitive spot "- after being beaten up in the ring and shot in the shoulder during war games that I'd be- ow- better at this"

Eric let out a breath that could be classed as a laugh and actually smiled. I took a screenshot of that moment in my head, I was probably one of few people that saw Eric smile "you're a wimp" he said.

I couldn't really disagree with him "yeah" Tori continued in silence for a while, I listened to the hum of the tattoo gun and concentrated on Erics arm tattoos to take my mind off of the pain, I followed the lines from the beginning until I reached the Dauntless logo in the middle, and once I'd done that I'd start again "where are you getting yours?" I asked eventually.

My instructor shrugged and seemed to think about it "maybe on my ribs"

Tori made a sound like a kettle finished boiling "that'll hurt like a bitch" Eric didn't look phased by this at all "who am I kidding? I'm talking to you" she gave a breathy laugh and turned her attention back to the tattoo.

While she was concentrating on that I looked at Eric and smiled softly "thank you"

"For what?" He asked reticently.