first impressions

One Month Later

"Alright, I'm heading out with Alec so I'll be back in a little bit." Payton smiled to Jackson and Genna as the three said goodbye. She was heading over to her boyfriend's house to spend some time with him, as Genna and Jackson had no problem watching their little nephew so Payton could enjoy some alone time.

"Hey there." She smiled once she arrived to Alec's home, seeing her boyfriend open the door.

"Hey beautiful." Alec smiled before softly kissing his girlfriend, the two heading into his room as they began watching some Netflix, relaxing and pigging out on some pizza and wings. They enjoyed each other's company, as well as just relaxing together, but Payton wanted to take another step further in their relationship, and that would be for him to meet now eighteen month old baby Dustin. Payton hasn't told him much of anything about having baby Dustin and what she went through with Dustin and his passing. She knew she had to, but it would be hard, which was normal.

"Babe?" Payton spoke up, lifting her head from his chest. Alec then paused the show they were watching so he could listen to what she had to say.

"What's up babygirl?" He casually asked.

"So, now that we're official, I want to take another step in our relationship but it's a lot. There's a lot you don't know about me, but I'm willing to open up." She calmly said as he nodded his head, allowing her to continue.

"First, this may be a lot to first hear, but I have a baby." She stated as his eyes got a bit big.

"Oh? How old is your baby?" He asked, passing no judgement on her.

"My son just turned eighteen months. And his name is Dustin." She smiled.

"Awww, that's cute. Is his dad still in the picture?" Alec asked, obviously not knowing what happened to Dustin's father.

"Unfortunately, no. Dustin's dad, whom he's named after, passed away the day I found out I was pregnant." She admitted before going fully into detail about what happened. She broke down a couple times thinking and talking about it, but Alec comforted her the best he could which she appreciated.

"Payton, I'm so, so sorry you had to go through that at such a young age, and also not that long ago. Barely over two years ago. I'm so sorry you and baby Dustin went through that." Alec softly spoke as he felt his heart break a bit for Payton.

"It's okay, I'm doing better than what I was. Dustin looks just like his dad so in a way it helps since I still have a piece of Dustin with me. And I'm still very close with Dustin's dad. He's my son's grandfather and he's like a second dad to me so I'm glad we're still very close." She gave a small smile to her boyfriend.

"I would be too because most parents of the child who passed away wouldn't want to be around the grandchild since it may be too much for them. I wish I would've gotten to meet Dustin. He sounds like an amazing guy." He said, softly holding Payton's hand.

"He was incredible. You remind me of him, though. So, maybe Dustin sent me to you because he definitely knew my type and how picky I am." She giggled a bit which warmed Alec's heart to see her smile, even if it was for a minute.

"Maybe he did. And if he did, then I'm one lucky guy to have you sent to me." Alec smiled, softly kissing her cheek.

"Yeah. But, now that I've fully opened up to you and I was completely honest, I'd love for you to meet baby Dustin. He might be a little shy since the only men he's known are just my brothers and brother in laws, his grandpas and little Luis. Other than that he really hasn't been exposed to me being with men, since you are the first guy I've dated since Dustin's passing." Payton admitted.

"That's totally understandable. But I'd love to meet your son, when were you thinking of introducing us to each other?" He asked.

"How about tomorrow? It's supposed to be nice so we can just chill out for a bit and then maybe take him to the zoo. He's obsessed with animals." Payton said as they both laughed a little.

"Sounds like a plan." Alec smiled before the two softly kissed, enjoying the rest of their evening together.

The following day, Payton was excited yet nervous for baby Dustin to meet Alec. She hoped he wouldn't be super fussy around him or be super shy. Payton knew he'd be a bit shy since Alec is someone knew, but she hoped that he'd come around to Alec.

"Dustin's here sis." Jackson smiled to Payton as she carried little Dustin upstairs so he could play for a little bit before the three headed out to the zoo.

"Ok, thanks." She said before hugging Jackson, then greeting her boyfriend.

"You excited?" Payton smiled before kissing her boyfriend.

"Of course. This is gonna be fun." He grinned before the two walked into the living room to see Dustin playing with some of his toys.

"Hey little man, mama's got you." Payton quietly said to Dustin since he got a little fussy once he saw Alec.

"Oh my god, he's so cute." Alec beamed, seeing the eighteen month old for the first time. Payton then thanked him.

"Dustin, this is mommy's friend Alec. We're going to the zoo with him today, is that ok?" She softly spoke to Dustin as he couldn't take his eyes off Alec. He smiled a bit before reaching for Alec which warmed Payton's heart.

"Hey little man, you excited to go to the zoo today?" He asked with a smile, looking at little Dustin.

"Yeah!" He giggled which made Payton's heart melt.

"That's what I like to hear." Alec chuckled before Payton took little Dustin back and headed downstairs to grab everything while Jackson and Alec stood in the living room, seeing Genna and Isabella watching one of the now three year old's favorite cartoons.

"Thanks for making my sister happy. I haven't seen her this happy since Dustin was born." Jackson smiled to Alec as he was a bit taken back.

"That's my job. I wanna make her and her son the happiest I can. As long as I do that, I think I'm doing good." Alec gave him a reassuring smile.

"Yeah. Just, please take care of her. She deserves someone like you in her life. They both do." Jackson said with a sincere look as Alec nodded his head.

"I will, promise." He reassured Jackson before Payton, holding little Dustin, came back upstairs.

"Ready?" Payton smiled as Alec nodded his head, the three making their way out to enjoy the day together.