Manga: Caste Heaven (7/10) - Ongoing

NOTE: Imagine allowing a set of cards to dictate who you will become and where you stand in the schools hierarchy.... TRIGGER: Rape, abusive lover, bullying, fudged up!

GENRE

Drama, Mature, Psychological, School life, Slice of life, Yaoi.

DESCRIPTION

Ruled by a cruel and arbitrary ranking system, the school is a pool of jealousy, envy and lust. Azusa was the King for a long time but one day he falls to the very bottom. What now?

COMMENT

I love this manga. Many people don't because it can be hard to accept what happens at the school. I think thought his plot is really original and I love the characters and the way their relationships develop because it's not a overnight thing. It takes time.

I can't remember if this is a one's a year thing... or if it happens randomly during the year... but there's a time of the year that the classes ranking systems change in the form of the class students having to find cards (poker cards) around the school, during a set time. The card you find will be your rank in class with each card representing who you'll be until the next ranking system happens (or the reshuffle):

Top: King and Queen cards select the King and Queen of each class (1 of each)

High ranks: Jack (Jack), Yes-Man (10), and Wannabes (9), who serve the King. 

Middle ranks: Preppies (8), Gofers (7), and Slackers (6). 

Low ranks: Geeks (5), the Goths (4), and the Brainiacs (3).

Outside ranks: Freaks (2) and Delinquents (Ace). 

Targets: Students who draw the Joker, refuse to participate in the game, or inform the teachers are immediately turned into Targets and bullied.

The manga follows 3 couples (King and Target, Jack and Preppy, and then two Delinquents). The story starts with a reshuffle and we watch how students change ranks, following our main character Azusa who was a King but gets betrayed by his close friend or follower, Karino, and becomes a Target. Karino becomes the King and his true sadistic side comes out to play.

Some people might think this novel is fudged up... and you probably right, but I can't help but really enjoy the characters and the whole ranking system plus plot. Karino and Azusa's relationship starts off really dark, Karino isn't a good guy, but slowly... they do start caring for each other, in their own messed up way.

I also loved the two delinquents. Now... their relationship was possessive, toxic and full of pain. Pain that they both loved. 

Don't read it if you someone who doesn't like hardcore stuff... this is definitely not for the light hearted or anyone looking for a fluffy romance.