Chapter 79: Attack

When they left the forest, Ryan was pretty sure the town shouldn't be under attack. Gale, who probably had a better reaction time than Ryan, slipped out from underneath Slade, asking the nearest townsfolk what was going on, Benji following.

Apparently they weren't the only ones to be attacked by the cannibal things. "You!" Someone called out, nearly running into Ryan. "How well can you fight!?"

"What?" Ryan could only splutter out.

"How well can you fight?" The guy adjusted his scaff. "We are undermanned and you are clearly not unconscious!"

"Kinda?"

"Good!" He looked around, pointing to a random bystander. "You! Take the unconscious one to the medical triage. You, follow me!"

Then Ryan and Slade were separated, going in opposite directions. "What is going on?" Ryan asked. "And who the hell are you?"

"Pluto," He picked up his speed. "And we are clearly being attacked! What weapon are you best with?"

"What?!"

"Sword it is!"

"Excuse me?!"

They came across a building that looked suspiciously like a forge. "Jaren!" Pluto slammed the door open. "We need weapons!"

Jaren looked oddly normal considering the chaos Ryan has seen. "Ya, quite a few people do!" Jaren grabbed a few items off of a rack. "Here, now go!"

Then Ryan held a small knife and was pushed outside once more. "What?" He could only get out.

"Help us kill these things and don't get killed. Weakness is fire and light. So grab a torch unless you miraculously have magic!"

Then Pluto ran off, leaving him alone in the middle of a battlefield. "What the hell is happening?" He could only ask, and he began to head off in a random direction.

Not like he knew the place, so it didn't really matter which direction he headed.

While he jogged, he tallied up in his head all he knew.

Apparently this world was called Altered.

Magic was a common thing.

Monsters and other mythical creatures existed.

They were under attack.

Slade should be somewhere safe and unconscious.

He wasn't somewhere safe and conscious.

It wasn't much, but it was a list.

Ryan turned around a corner, leaning against the building's wall. Man, he really hopes Tori and everyone else are okay, because he would die if they were here. Not because they can't take care of themselves, but mostly because of worry.

He was good at worrying.

"Ryan!" And suddenly he had a tiny fairy plow into him. It didn't do much, but he was slightly amused by the tiny feeling of it. Footsteps caught his attention, and Gale came running up.

"Three seconds and you disappear!" Her eyes were wide as she took deep breaths. "Three!"

They didn't get to discuss much else, since a few hisses caught their attention. Two of the things on each side hissed at them, slowly shuffling closer.

Ryan was somewhat thankful that Slade had the idea to teach him how to use a weapon last year, even if it was to burn off his extra energy.

He had a feeling the training was more for Slade's sanity rather than keeping Ryan safe.