Chapter 49: Meeting

Matt's POV

I thought I was ready for anything. Well, almost anything, since recently this whole school year has decided to show me how not ready I was. I could create a list of things I wasn't expecting.

Ryan and his two different Runes.

How A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time.

Ryan's panic attacks.

That damn hole that twisted my ankle!

The portal and the people that came out of the portal.

Ryan apparently has zero love for sharing anything past wise.

How 50% of Canada is the letter 'A'.

I realized how much things about my best friend had surprised me this year. Maybe I should prod around and try to find out more...

Maybe later.

Maybe.

We walked down towards the entrance of the lab, Ryan looked absolutely ready to stab Tina any minute. I knew he wasn't a morning person, so I'm not surprised he isn't a night person. Doubt he pulls many all-nighters.

"Tina I swear I will stab you if you don't stop." Ryan, almost literally, growled at her.

Not to self, do not piss off Ryan. Immediate death is possible. I thought. Never seen him this mad...well, while in control of his Runes.

I frowned. Even though he is my best friend, I wasn't the happiest with his Runes. Considering how the last fire user nearly killed my parents, I think those feelings are justified. I think. Plus, it's not like I'm hating him because of something he has no control over. Plus, it's not in Ryan's nature to purposely want to hurt someone. Okay, that's a lie. Ryan probably has the feistiest temper I have ever seen when mad, but it's not like he throws himself at people at every little thing. Though that might be because he was early friends with Tina (who will fight anything and everything), but it also could be the other way around.

A loud thud drew me out of my thoughts. Tina was laying on her back, looking at the sky with a shocked expression. Considering the fact Ryan continued on and didn't spare her a glance, I think I could figure out who did it.

"Wha- Ryan, ugh. Are you okay?" Tori asked, offering a hand.

"Ah, I'm fine." Tina shook her head. "Not the first time he's done that, won't be the last."

"He's done that before‽" Lexi laughed. She was always pretty when she laughed, since usually it meant chaos and destruction. "He's so teaching me."

"You guys coming or what?" A voice asked. Ryan, stood about 20 feet away, looking in our direction.

Unanimously, we all continued on, catching up with him quickly. I noticed that Tina stopped pestering Ryan, and I don't blame her. I didn't see the incident, but it looked like it hurt. Plus with the fact we're on stone and concrete...ouch. Though if he's done it before... dear god, I might actually want to avoid annoying Ryan too much.

We ran into Goldy when we were walking down the lab. Unicorn was trailing behind her, looking aspirated. "Goldy, where do you get this energy‽"

"Coffee!" She looked like she was hyped up on enough coffee to kill a hippo considering how much she vibrated. "So did Petra tell you guys to come too‽ I wonder what he wants!"

"Whatever it is, it better be important." A British accent scoffed out. Turning around, I saw the doppelganger off Ryan, otherwise known as Ry.

"Agreed." Ryan nodded.