Chapter 71:

Slade frowned as he mulled over what Ryan said. It made sense of why this ghost thing, Jacob, was after Ryan. Dying because of something your best friend wanted to do could leave a grudge. Hell, Monopoly can tear apart friendships, and no one even gets hurt.

One thing didn't add up to Slade though. "Why weren't you with your parents?" Slade thought back to all the conversations he could remember with Ryan. Ryan said nothing about them, in the whole time Slade has been around, he hasn't heard anything about Ryan's home life.

The sighs from both Aaron and Ryan hinted that they knew something he didn't, along with the awkwardness that suddenly came off of Petra.

"That-" Ryan began, only to pause and give a long sigh. "Is another story..."

Slade didn't say anything, but focused on the air around Ryan. Before they walked into the room, Slade activated his Runes in case of something popped up. One of the things second years learn with their Runes is to focus on emotional auras. Psychic Users could feel the air and not have to see the colors, but usually that happens around third year. Only downside to feeling it and not seeing it is that you could only feel the largest emotion, and in example, the awkwardness of Petra.

Slade wasn't surprised to see majority blue around Ryan; He would be more concerned if he didn't. Dark red was mixed in, which would have been panic, along with a light red -nervousness. None that were particularly good emotions.

"Anyways," Ryan let out a slow breath. "When I was younger, I just turned five. Was a nice day, celebrating my birthday with friends and all, good day." The blue that turned even darker told Slade that something wasn't happy about that day.

A flash of purple caught his eye. Both Petra and Aaron were looking at Ryan with a look (and aurora) of shock and slight bit of horror. Slade was unsure whether or not he actually wanted to know, but decided that it was for the best to know.

He gave a small groan as his head began to hurt. Another downside of seeing the emotions- Killer headaches. Slade stopped, best if he didn't want to pass out due to pain.

"During the night, I woke up. It was too hot, ironically enough. I think that's what woke me, or the smoke."

"Oh god...." Petra mumbled to himself.

"Ya, when I woke up, the house was on fire." Ryan gave a small shrug. "Heard something downstairs, so I went to investigate. Found out later that it was the sound of the firefighters breaking down the front door. Well, long story short. I made it out...." The sound of a shaky breath left him. "My parent's did not."

"Well, shit." Aaron breathed out.

Ryan gave a dry laugh. "Good summary. Anyways, after that I watched my best friend die, I was seeing him in the corner of my eye and all that, told someone a few years ago and was put on some meds." The flick of light green told Slade that Ryan didn't particularly like them that much. "Then this year left them accidentally, and hadn't taken them all year. They should have been shhhiiiipppppeeeeddddd...." Ryan droned off, and his eyes widened suddenly. "Oh ya." His voice took to another octave.

"What did you do now?" Aaron questioned.

"Nothing." Ryan cleared his throat. "Just- ya, nothing."

The three gave him unimpressed looks but no one pressed the issue. It was clear that Ryan was already uncomfortable, better not press anything that didn't have to deal with the issue directly.

Slade gave a quiet sigh. This was going to be fun to deal with.

-------------- A week later ------------

Ryan bounced lightly on his feet with Gizzy, Unicorn, Slade, and Petra around him. They were waiting at the bus stop for the kids to arrive for the competition. It was a simple job, just showing the other students around while Slade, Unicorn, and Petra talked to the dean of the school. All the boring stuff.

It was slightly awkward talking to Aaron, Slade, and Petra after that incident, but things were getting slightly better.

Although Ryan has yet figured out a way to get the medication out of Tori's and Tina's dorm without either one knowing.

"So when should they be here?" Gizzy asked.

"They should be arriving shortly!" Petra glanced down at his watch. "Or, now as a matter of fact!"

As those words left his mouth, the shadows warped, and a group of students (two Ryan and Gizzy recognized) appeared. "Gizzy! Ryan!" Cory chirped out, while Adam merely waved and said. "Sup my dudes."

The dean of the school merely glared at the two, before walking off to talk with Petra and the others. Ryan narrowed his eyes. "I don't trust him."

---

Sorry I didn't post last week, and sorry this is so short. Writer's block is a killer.