Chapter 23: Nighttime Talks

Note: I really didn't study about insomnia or depression, I just glazed over it and took my own experiences so don't hold me to anything.

Ryan hated night sometimes. It was always quiet, too quiet, especially with where Life Academy is located. Woods surrounded them. He could hear a pack of wolves howling in the distance, crickets chirping, wind whooshing. He preferred the cities. All the bustle and busy nights. Maybe that was the runaway in him. It was always easier to disappear when the world around you is too busy to pay attention to a street rat.

After Slade popped out of his dorm, he noped it and decided to spend the night on the roof. Sure, he used the vents when he was younger to scare people and move around (A few schools hated him for it), but seriously? There is a door available that is in good condition. It won't kill you with a curse or anything.

Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

Ryan sat on the edge of the roof, his feet dangling downwards. He lost track of time a while ago, but he's pretty sure it's around four in the morning. It was also one of those rare times Anti is leaving him alone.

I guess everything, real or not, needs time off.

He closed his eyes, and felt the wind ruffle his hair. Even though it was quiet, and he hated it, it was one of those times he actually felt peaceful. "How the hell are you up here?" A voice, one that grated Ryan's nerves, spoke.

Aaron.

In a few fluid moves, Ryan turned around. His back facing the edge. "Why are you here Aaron?"

There stood Aaron. Although it was dark, Ryan could see him. His wolf ears were pressed against his head, and overall look annoyed by his presence. He wasn't in his ordinary clothes, just a sweatshirt and sweatpants; the top green and the bottom grey.

Though Ryan can't blame him; He was in his pajamas too. Which, to Ryan's distastes, was about the same as Aaron's, just different colors (Blue and black).

"I asked first idiot."

Why is that everyone's go-to insult for me? I'm quite smart.

Not in the mood to deal with Aaron, and Aaron looked about the same, Ryan answered the question he asked. "I climbed. Now it's your turn. Why are you here?"

Aaron rolled his eyes, and walked towards Ryan. Shockingly, he took a seat next to Ryan, facing outwards. "I have insomnia. Tonight was a rough night. Tell anyone and you will be missing from the school."

Ryan frowned. He honestly was surprised. He wouldn't have expected that out of Aaron. Maybe...

"I have depression, if that helps. PTSD too probably, from last year." He told Aaron.

The whiplash Aaron nearly gave himself made Ryan's mood was slightly better. "What?" Aaron asked.

It wasn't in his cold tone either. It was actually genuine surprise.

Ryan sighed. "Stop sounding shocked. You said something wrong about you, I said something wrong about me. A fair trade."

Aaron gave a small huff. "Blackmail then."

"Yep." Ryan popped the 'P'.

"So how's it like with insomnia?" Ryan asked.

"How's it like with depression?"

"I asked first idiot." Ryan grinned. Ah, he loved words sometimes.

"You- You are a sneaky bastard."