Chapter 58: Talks and, You Guessed It, More Talks

Ryan rubbed his arms as he walked, before crossing them once again. The lab hallways went by him slowly as Tori and him walked side by side. The air inside of the lab was cold due to air conditioning...even though it was in the middle of September and slowly dropping in temperature as the days went past. It also didn't help that he was used to having something cover his arms.

"I think Dr. Amelia should be able to do a check up on them." Tori looked down at the small bird. "Though I might wanna stay and make sure she doesn't implant a tracker in them or anything."

"I was about to say something." Ryan gave a dry chuckle. "She's good at healing, but uh..."

"Eccentric?" Tori finished. "Crazy?"

"Ya." Ryan nodded.

The conversion dampered off into nothingness, each just soaking in each other's company, plus the occasional chirp from a bird.

"You do know that you'll need to dig worms up and mush them from it to eat right?" Ryan pointed out.

"I know," Tori whined, sticking her lip out. "I'll just feel really bad about it though."

"Everything dies, it's just the way of life." Ryan shrugged. "We're born, we age, we die."

Tori looked at Ryan for a good long three seconds, before shifting her eyes to look ahead once again. "I see where you get your slightly dark humor now." She spoke softly.

"You seem calm about... it." Ryan sighed, turning a corner. "Way more than I would have thought."

"Well," Tori ran her thumb gently over the bird, stroking it gently. "I did panic, especially when you decided a run in the forest is what you needed. Tina and Unicorn though seems calmer though, and I figured it wasn't as major as we thought. Still, you can talk to us."

"I know."

Tori shot him a look.

"And I will." He lied.

Watching the doors open to the main lab, they were greeted with Petra and Unicorn looking over some blueprints. "Hey," Ryan greeted, and smiled a tad bit when both of them jumped.

"Ryan!" Unicorn snapped. "Why‽"

"Sorry." Ryan apologized. "We were wondering if you guys knew where Amelia was."

Petra's head snapped back up from the blueprint. "Who's hurt?" He shot out.

Tori smiled. "No one, I found a baby bird and was planning to nurse it back to health, but I figured Amelia would know if something was wrong with them."

Sighing, Petra nodded. "If you say so... I believe she is down the corridor, third door on the right. Oh! Ryan, can you stay though?"

Ryan looked at Tori, and with a simple nod, he shrugged. "I guess so, why?"

"No particular reason."

"I have a feeling you're lying." Ryan pointed out, resulting in a small laugh from Tori.

"Thanks Petra," Shifting the makeshift nest, Tori waved and headed in the direction he gave her.

"So..." Ryan rocked on his heels. "What did I do?"

"You did nothing," Petra told him.

"That we know of." Ryan caughted Unicorn mumble to himself.

Acting like he didn't hear what Unicorn said, Petra continued. "I believe you remember when I said something about an IQ test?"

"I was hoping you forgot." He admitted. "So, guessing to drop by after school?"

"That is correct," Petra nodded. "I would catch up to Tori, who knows how well Amelia can sneak things in."