Chapter 51: Hiding Spirits

Slade's POV

I nearly had a heart attack when Lexi and Matt slammed the door open, panting and clearly out of breath. Their words overlapped each other, each trying to get a point across but only only smearing their words together even more. They were tasked to get Ryan, since he hadn't shown up when he was supposed to, but they came back clearly panicked, out of breath, and without Ryan.

"What did he do now?" Aaron rolled his eyes.

That's when they filled us in. One would speak, only to stop and the other one picked up. "I saw something, so I grabbed his arm-"

"There were scars all over, up and down-"

"He didn't respond-"

"We tried to ask what happened-"

"Ryan panicked and ran-"

"We couldn't keep up-"

"I tripped, it was like something tripped me-"

"I stopped to help, when we got up-"

"He was gone!"

That's how I got out here, searching for Ryan through the leaves and trees. It was chilly out, considering the fact that it was almost the end of September and about to reach October. I listen closely, hoping to hear any sound that would help me pinpoint Ryan's location.

I didn't want to use my Runes; Last thing I need is for Ryan to become even more panicked.

Light footsteps caught my ear, and I stopped, praying that it wasn't my own footsteps. I didn't hear anything that sounded like footsteps, but I did hear harsh breathing to the right of me.

Slowly walking, I listen closely. "God I'm an idiot." Ryan's voice filtered through the trees.

Relief flowed through my body, chasing away all panic. That is, until I realized Ryan might take off again if he sees me.

"Well duh," I bite back a yell. Of course that- thing had to be still hanging around. Is that why Ryan's been acting off for so long even after I threatened it? "I always told you were an idiot, but you never believed me."

"I- I didn't think-" I cringed at how...depressed he sounded. Plus it is clear now that Ryan can see and talk to...whatever that thing is. I've been meaning to do research, I just never had the time. Plus where would I even start?

"And that's your problem." The urge to show myself is rising each time that thing speaks. "That's why I'm here."

No, you're there to touture Ryan for whatever reason you demonic thing.

"To tourture me nonstop with bad thoughts?" Ryan....I took a deep breath. WHY!?! If you know it is bad, why not ask for-

Realization flooded through my system, connecting dots and thoughts at a rapid pace. No one probably saw it before, so it would be like it was all in his head. It's not like he was surround by people with Runes. The medicine Unicorn spoke about was probably for hallucinations, and the reason why the Psychic Runes weren't showing up along with that thing was because of the medication.

That also explains all the side glances and sudden winces at the beginning of the year. Ryan stopped taking it, letting him show back along with the Runes.

How am I going to brooch this topic with Ryan though? I just can't walk up and ask about the dark being that he talks to.

"Well, that's apart of the fun for me. Can you blame me though?" Don't reveal yourself and punch him don't reveal yourself and punch him don't reveal yourself and punch him. "With how many screwed up things you have, how could I not? Not my point though. I'm here to lead you in the correct path."