Chapter 5: Hello, Old Friend

Finally, after the four grueling hours of school, the kids were released for lunch. A break from heaven for the kids and teachers.  The group of four walked to the little cafe, not minding how long they took. The longer they take, the shorter the line they have to wait in.

"So how are your guy's classes so far?" Tori asked, breaking the comfortable silence in between them.

"Mine are alright, I can't wait for P. E. to truly starts though." Lexi commented, her hand swinging lightly, holding onto Matt's.

"I hate Overall Science." Ryan deadpanned. "Do you think I can get away with not going there the whole year?"

Matt snorted at the reminder of that class while Tori smacked Ryan on top of the head. "We want you to graduate you know that right? Why do you hate it anyways?"

"I'll tell you over lunch." Ryan said.

"That bad?" Lexi looked over to him.

"Arron." Was Ryan's only reply.

The girls looked at each other, a silent conversation happening between them.  "How bad do you think?" Tori communicated to Lexi.

"Bad if he is holding it off." She replied.

"Come on." Matt tugged Lexi's hand. "I'm starving and there is food with my name on it."

"You're always hungry Matt, what's different?" Lexi snapped back, but allowed herself to be dragged the rest of the way to cafe, leaving Ryan and Tori alone.

The two of them walked in silence, the bickering of their friends slowly fading away. "Strange how its already been quite a few months since they started dating but yet they act like it's been years."

Ryan gave a tired sigh. "Ya, a serious person and a joker, kinda funny actually. They're so opposite."

Tori shoulder bumped him. "Hey, stop sounding so down. You have me at least. No matter what you can come to me."

He bumped her back. "I know."

"Good, I didn't deal with last year to only have you ditch us."

Ryan gave a tired laugh. "That sucked."

"You didn't have to deal with not knowing where one of your best friends were." Tori said.

"You didn't have to deal with being kidnapped." Ryan fired back.

Soon, they were all sitting down at a table, the cafe area basically clear of people, since the kids who got their lunch fled to other places. They all sat down at the table, eating their food, listening as Ryan explained what happened in Overall Science.

"Your partner for science fair is Arron?" Lexi questioned. "Is she sane?"

"Ya," Matt gave a laugh. "It's even better with the rules she announced. '4- Do not start fights.'" Matt imitated her voice.

"We're going to break half of those rules this week alone." Ryan commented.

Lexi shook her head her boyfriend's awful imitation. Today was just going to be a pain. "That class is going to be hell."

"Ya, but at least my partner and I did are work." Matt shot back, giving him a sly grin. Which Ryan returned with a glare.

Tori gave him a dry look. "What does he mean by that Ryan?" Her tone was stone cold. Ironic since she has the Plant Runes. She cared a ton about school, so when one of her friends are about to fail....It's hell.

"The teacher told us to talk to get to know our partners. You should already know how that turned out." Ryan defended himself. "I'm not going to talk to him, and I sure know he feels the same way."