Chapter 83: Figuring It Out

Unicorn ran into the main portion of the lab holding a blueprint in a death grip, making the occupants, Petra and Tori, jump in surprise. They were in the lab since it held more privacy than the office, when Unicorn bursted in, looking like he held the answers to the universe.

Knowing him, Petra wouldn't be surprised if he did. Half the things he said or knows is concerning, but not on the level that his friends give off.

"I might have figured out a way to find where they went!" He blurted out, running to a spare table and slamming the blueprint down with more force. "It shouldn't take that long to build if everything goes right and..." He trailed off once he glanced up at the two, noting their expressions. He would be a terrible hero if he couldn't tell what the victims he saved felt. "Is everything okay? What happened? Don't tell me they came back and a repeat of last time happened? God are they alright? What-"

"It's fine Uni." Unicorn jumped at the sudden nickname. "It's just- It's not important right now." Rubbing her eyes free of tears, a more determined look settled on her. "You said you might have found a way?"

He nodded, looking down at the blueprint. White lines made up the sketch with tiny calculations on the margins. Usually they wouldn't be there since it was easier just to ask Ryan but he couldn't now. "It shouldn't take that long. Each dimension holds its own...how to explain it...frequency, I guess. Everything in that dimension, to the smallest ant to the largest star, goes at that frequency."

"If you are able to find that frequency in another dimension, that would be where they are located." Perta finished off.

"So we'd just need to build something to find this...frequency?" Tori asked. "Then that would show us where R-Ryan and Slade are?"

Unicorn promptly ignored that sudden hitch of breath.

"Hopefully. We could use the old machine as a base for it. Would need to switch things up. Not searching for multiple dimensions, but rather people. People are harder to find though, so we'd need a bigger power source..."

"Couldn't we use Matt or Goldy?" Tori asked. "They have Light Runes, which is technically like energy. Pretty sure I did see Matt charging his phone with his Runes at one point."

Petra glanced up. "What?"

Tori nodded. "Apparently he got it from a show or something. A kid had like energy based powers and would charge his phone by putting the charger in his mouth." She shrugged. "I don't know. He said something about working on certain attacks based on him, but he wouldn't tell me much."

Petra, he decided, is going to ask the Council for a Co-Dean after this is all over.

"Lexi made sure he wasn't going to hurt himself!" She hurriedly eased. "I tried to make sure but he seemed to want to keep it a secret and all..."

"It's fine-" Petra ran a hand through his hair. "Next time you see him, please remind him that he is technically supposed to see a teacher when dealing with new aspects of Runes." Tori's lips went to a thin line, before nodding.

"So, can we use him or her as a battery?" Unicorn asked. Petra sighed, but nodded.

"If they agree to it, yes.""

"Aright!" Hurried erasing and new lines were quickly drawn. "This could work!" Unicorn held it up, examining it closely.

"Can you fetch a box from our room Tori?" Tori nodded. "It should be near the top, marked with Machine's Box Number 180. On the front written in sharpie. Probably with some doodles from Goldy."

"180?" Petra mumbled, while Tori just nodded. "I'm guessing bring it here?"

Unicorn nodded. "Shouldn't be too heavy. I don't think so..." His voice turned quiet near the end. "I don't have the best understanding of normal people's limitations..."