Chapter 7-9: For Everything

Things seemed better between Draco and Desiree in the days that passed Luna's arrival. Draco seemed to be blaming himself a lot less, or at least not in front of Desiree. He seemed better around her. He was being more open about his feelings. Desiree felt relieved he wasn't shutting her out because she knew how hard it was for him to be so open with his feelings, especially the dark ones.

Desiree finally opened up about how she felt those many months ago when she had been tortured for information. She felt as though a weight was lifted off of her chest when she finally let go of all of those pent up feelings. She felt free after finally talking about it. She was ready to set it free. And that was the first step in healing from it emotionally.

Draco had taken a bit of time after she told him about her experience with his aunt. She understood why. It was hard for him not to blame himself when it was his aunt that attacked the girl he loved. Surely enough, he came back to her, only this time he told her how he felt in those moments. How he felt useless because he couldn't save her from the heartache and the pain.

But, out of all of that, they still stuck at each other's side. They were staying with each other through the worst of it.

"Luna," Desiree whispered. "Luna, wake up!"

"Yes?" she asked, rubbing her eyes. She was quite the light sleeper.

"Happy Birthday," Desiree grinned, handing her two cookies.

"For me? Really?" she sat up.

"Well, those aren't for me, I can assure you," Dean chuckled.

"I remember you telling me your birthday is in February. So, I had Draco tell me the date every time he came to talk to me at the start of the year. Happy birthday, Luna. You're officially of age in the wizarding world. Though being trapped in a cellar does put a damper on things," she giggled, pushing the cookies towards Luna again.

"You made sure these aren't Nargle infested, right?" she asked, taking the cookies from Desiree.

"I promise," Desiree giggled again.

"Someone's in a better mood than she has been," said Dean, leaning against one of the walls.

"Well, I've just accepted that I'm stuck down here, and my attitude is going to only make me more miserable. So, I'm trying to look at the good," Desiree nodded, handing Dean a spare cookie, along with Ollivander, Griphook, and herself.

"I suppose that makes sense. Also, where did you get all of these cookies? They're good, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but wonder where they came from," Dean asked, taking another bite of his cookie.

"I had Draco sneak them down this morning before all of you woke up. He's been getting a lot better at sneaking food down if you haven't noticed," Desiree grinned. Just like in the beginning, Draco had been sneaking extra food down to her and the others when he could. He might not have originally helped all of the others, but after seeing Desiree's compassion, he changed his mind. It was almost as though he saw her showing the compassion he always wanted to show, and after seeing it was possible, he let it shine.

"Who would have ever thought that Draco Malfoy would be sneaking me food while I'm being held captive in his cellar," Dean chuckled.

"Certainly not I," Ollivander said in his raspy, faint voice. He had yet to fully recover though he was now getting more sustenance in his diet. Desiree suspected it would take them finding a way out for Ollivander to strengthen.

"I can say the same," said Desiree.

"Now, surely, since you took the liberty of having Malfoy sneak our cookies, you have some sort of plan for the rest of the day?" Dean inquired.

"Well, there isn't much I could plan. I thought we could just talk about funny childhood stories. That's about all we can do," she shrugged.

"That sounds wonderful, actually," Luna grinned. Desiree always admired how Luna was pleased by the small things in life.

"Then telling stories it is," Dean nodded, sitting down in a triangular shape with Desiree and Luna. "Now, it's only fitting that the birthday girl goes first."

"Oh, one time I was visiting the Thestrals, and they followed me all the way to the Black Lake. It was quite peculiar, but I suppose it was because I hadn't visited them in a while," said Luna.

"You can see the Thestrals?" Dean asked.

Luna nodded, "I was nine when I saw my mum die."

"I can see them too," Desiree nodded.

"Who did you see?" Luna questioned.

"It was my Aunt Aurora. I was six when I saw her murdered by Fenrir Greyback," Desiree muttered. Her eyes unfocused as she saw the vivid images of the attack in her mind. That was something she never forgot and never would forget.

"Oh wow, I had no idea," Dean admitted.

"I don't talk about it that much," Desiree crossed her arms over her stomach.

"Anyway, let's get back to telling the fun stories. Since you two seem to like the stories where Draco doesn't seem like an ass, I'll do one of those. I believe it was right before we started dating, he took me to The Three Broomsticks, and we were going on about mixing strange creatures, or people with creatures. And I said something along the lines of mixing Dumbledore with a Grindylow, I believe, and when I tell you butterbeer quite literally spewed from his nostrils," she giggled.

"No way," Dean chuckled.

"I swear to you, it happened," she laughed.

"Blimey, I think I'd pay to see that happen," he laughed.

"Desiree? Can you hear me?" Narcissa's voice sounded from the gate.

"I'll be right there," she called out. She turned back to Dean and Luna quickly as she stood, "I'll be back."

Desiree's feet carried over to the gated door in a mere few seconds, "You wanted to see me?"

"I wanted to speak with you," Narcissa stepped closer to the door.

"What is it?" she asked, stepping closer to Narcissa. Desiree could tell it was quite serious.

"I can tell it's changing out there," Narcissa sighed, "we're drawing closer to war. I'm scared for Draco."

"I am too," Desiree muttered. The thought of Draco having to fight in a battle, on a side he didn't want to be on, scared her.

"That's part of the reason why I came to talk to you," she clasped both of her hands over one of Desiree's, "Desiree, I know you love him dearly. And he loves you just the same, if not more. I have come to ask, that you please fight for him. Fight for him to stay on your side. I can't do much now that I've already come on this side after marrying Lucius. I have to act as though I want him on this side. But, I don't want my son to make the same mistake I did. I want him to hold on to that light, and you can help him with that. Please, just don't give up on him."

Desiree took a deep breath, taking in what Narcissa was asking of her. She would have naturally already done that, but now, now it was all the more needed.

"Narcissa, I would never leave him, and I'd never let him lose himself," said Desiree.

Narcissa had tear gleamed eyes as she looked at Desiree, "Thank you," she whispered, "For everything."