Chapter 2-5: The Legend

"Hey, Desiree did you ever find anything about the Chamber of Secrets." Hermione asked as the two walked into Transfiguration together.

"No I didn't, but I was also enjoying Halloween yesterday without troll in the castle." she laughed.

Hermione laughed, "I'll probably just ask McGonagall after our test."

The pair sat down in their seats, both at different tables. Desiree sat down next to Draco since it was her assigned seat.

"Draco." she remarked.

"Desiree." he said in the same tone.

Silence was among the two for a few minutes until Draco finally said something.

"Are you seriously going to ignore me for the entire year? Just because I called Hermione a mudblood." He said in an attitude.

"Well Draco, I would start talking to you again if you could manage to get it through your thick skull that that word is demeaning and nasty." Desiree snapped.

Draco averted his eyes down to his blank parchment, as he hadn't expected such a response from Desiree. The silence carried on until McGonagall finally walked into the classroom.

"Good afternoon children. Today you will be taking your test. I expect high scores from each of you." She said as she scanned the room, "You may begin."

The test seemed pretty easy for Desiree, but that was to be expected with how much she studied. About half an hour or so later the class had all finally finished their tests.

"If I can have your attention please," McGonagall said as she stood up, "we will now move on to turning animals into water goblets. Like so, one...two...three Vera Verto."

The bird that was sitting on McGonagall's desk was now turned into a silver water goblet.

"Now, it's your turn. Who would like to go first?" She asked as she now walked towards the rows of students. "Ah Mr. Weasley, one, two, three, Vera Verto."

Ron cleared his throat, "Vera Verto." his spell was only mildly successful. For his rat turned into a goblet that had a tail and fur.

"That wand needs replacing Mr. Weasley." She began to walk away, "Yes Ms Granger?"

"Professor I was wondering if you could tell us about the chamber of secrets?" asked Hermione.

Professor McGonagall reluctantly began, "Very well. Well you all know of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by four greatest witches and wizards of the age, Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Now three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously, one did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believe magical learning should be kept within all magic families, in other words purebloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though shortly before departing he sealed it, until the time his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the chamber and unleash the horror within, and by doing so purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"Muggle-borns." Hermione added.

"Well, naturally the school has been searched many times. No such chamber has been found." McGonagall now turned to walk back to her desk.

"Professor, what exactly does legend tell us lies within the chamber?" asked Desiree.

"Well the chamber is said to be home to something only the heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be home to a monster." said McGonagall.

The class grew silent, not sure what to say, or if there was anything to say.

"Well you all are dismissed. Have a great day." Professor McGonagall said as she now opened the door.

That night Desiree sat with Blaise and Pansy at the Slytherin table for dinner like usual.

"So what did you two think about what McGonagall said today?" Desiree asked before taking a bite of her meal.

"I'm not sure honestly." Pansy began, "I mean think about it...there's been this legend for a thousand years, the school has been searched multiple times, and there's been nothing? Something doesn't add up."

Blaise looked to Pansy then to Desiree, "Please tell me you two won't go snooping around in something that ought not to be messed with."

"Are you kidding...us two not look into something like this." Desiree laughed, "You think you know someone then they go and say something like this." she said jokingly to Pansy.

"Honestly he must have gone mad." Pansy laughed.

"I don't know why I associate with you two sometimes." said Blaise rolling his eyes with a smile.

"Oh come on you love us." Desiree said sarcastically.

"You keep telling yourselves that." He said jokingly.

"So Desiree, have you talked to Cedric anymore." said Pansy quite intrigued.

"No, not since that day I told you in the library." Desiree said matter of factly.

"Oh come on, this is my only source of entertainment." Pansy laughed.

"Hey...I'm sitting right here." said Blaise.

"Blaise if i'm being honest Desiree and Cedric are a bit more entertaining." she said sarcastically.

"I am hurt." Blaise said emphasizing each word.

"I'm only joking." Pansy laughed, "Don't go get your knickers in twist."

"Oh would you two come on. Dinner's nearly over." said Desiree as she stood up from the table.

As the three walked out of the great hall Desiree saw Cedric sitting near the end of the Hufflepuff table. He seemed to notice her at the same time. They both waved and smiled at each other as Desiree continued to walk.

"Honestly Desiree, you can swear that you don't fancy him as much as you want, but it's clear that he fancies you." Pansy said now dragging Desiree by the hand out of the great hall.