Chapter 7-1: Reminants of Childhood

It had been weeks since Draco left, Desiree could never find the right words to say around her parents. She wanted eagerly to tell her mother and to have her mother's support. But, what would she say about what was really happening? Would she still be as supportive towards Draco?

This worry had been festering within her, along with the heartbreak of losing him yet again. What hurt Desiree most was the knowledge that she spent most of the year hating him when all he was doing was trying to protect her. With her feeling like she couldn't talk to her mother, it left her to think about her whole situation over, and over again, trying to find any possible solution. But, she couldn't find a solution for the heartache this time, knowing Draco had been pulled into a life he didn't want, no doubt because of his father.

"Desiree," her mother knocked, "can I come in?"

"Yes, mum," Desiree said from the edge of her bed.

"I was coming to see if you had everything ready to stay at the Burrow after the wedding," said Mrs. Alcyone. Desiree was set to stay with the Weasley's at the Burrow after Lupin and Tonks' wedding for her safety. Her parents would be preparing their safe house in the time remaining. Desiree didn't know where the safe house was, just that her family stayed at it during the first war as well.

"Yeah, everything's in my trunk, and I just finished getting ready for the wedding," Desiree grinned as best she could.

"Darling, are you alright? You've seemed down lately. You can tell me if something's bothering you, anything at all." Mrs. Alcyone sat down next to her daughter, placing her warm hand atop of Desiree's.

Desiree could feel tears lining her eyes with the worry of her mother being angry with her, and the recurring feelings from that night on top of the astronomy tower. What has happened to her? She never used to cry this much.

"Desiree," Mrs. Alcyone said again.

"Um, remember how I told you that Draco said me he cheated on me?" Desiree asked, her mother silently nodded in agreeance. "Well, the night Dumbledore was murdered, I was on the top of the astronomy tower because I had gotten a letter from Draco that sounded like he was going to harm himself. When I got there, I tried to stop him. Mum, he never cheated on me. He said that because he knew it would push me away enough to protect me from the truth. Mum, they made him join them."

"Oh, my darling girl," Mrs. Alcyone sighed, pulling her daughter into her arms. "I can't begin to imagine what you're going through. I'm going to tell you something I should have told you long ago, perhaps when you were dealing with the death of Cedric," she paused, "sometimes we meet people that are good for our soul in that time. We fall head over heels in love because our souls needed each other the most. These are the people that make it so damn hard to leave, it practically breaks us all over again. But in all of that, you should remember just how lucky you were to have a love so powerful and so deep that it made goodbyes feel like your world was coming to a halt."

There was a long pause as Mrs. Alcyone rubbed her weeping daughter's back.

"I want you to know, that based on what your father and I have seen of Draco, we know he didn't choose this life. Desiree, whatever you decide to do, to stay or to leave, we will be right by your side."

"Really?" Desiree asked with tear glazed eyes.

"Of course, darling," she smiled, tucking a strand of Desiree's hair behind her ear. "Now, come, we have a wedding to get to."

"Just give me a moment to put my jewelry on, and I'll be right down."

"We'll see you downstairs," Mrs. Alcyone grinned before making her way back out of Desiree's room.