Chapter 5-5: The Woman In Pink

"Be sure to write us this year about anything you're feeling or anything that's bothering you," said Mrs. Alcyone as she smoothed out her daughter's shirt.

"I know mum. I'll be sure to tell you of any major events as well. But I don't think I'll really need to write you about how I'm feeling. I've been feeling a lot better lately," she grinned. Everything had felt better after Draco stayed with her those few days.

"Alright," her mother smiled. "You best be off before the train leaves without you."

"Be sure to tell me anything that goes on with the Order," Desiree whispered as she hugged her mother.

"We will now go," her mother let go of her.

"Bye dad," Desiree briefly hugged her father before walking onto the Hogwarts Express. She decided she would find Draco, Pansy, and Blaise since she hadn't seen Blaise or Pansy all summer.

"Desiree!" Pansy immediately hugged her.

"Pansy I can't breathe," Desiree patted her back to get her to let go.

"Right sorry," Pansy pulled back. "So, how was your summer?"

"It was good. The end of it was much better than the beginning," Desiree smiled as she quickly glanced to Draco.

"I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your house. I was traveling with my family," said Pansy.

"Yeah, I was too," said Blaise.

"It's alright. Draco and I had fun," Desiree grinned.

"What did you do to her?" Pansy asked Draco.

"What are you talking about?" asked Draco.

"She's smiling," said Pansy in shock. "I can't remember the last time I saw her smile."

"I didn't do anything. She was smiling when I arrived at the Alcyone Estate," said Draco.

"Interesting," Pansy sat back.

"Here she goes again," Blaise playfully rolled his eyes.

"What are you going on about?" Pansy asked him.

"Nothing, nothing. Just that now you're going to try to get to the bottom of why she's finally smiling after months instead of just leaving it be," said Blaise.

"Would it really be Pansy if she didn't try to get to the bottom of it?" Desiree chuckled. Desiree however already knew what the reason for her smiling was; or who.

"No I suppose it wouldn't," Blaise chuckled.

"Since when is this jump on Pansy day," Pansy folded her arms over her chest before everyone started laughing; including Pansy herself.

"So who do you suppose will be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?" asked Desiree as she glanced to the three of them.

"Well let's see, we've had a man with You-Know-Who attached to the back of his head, a man that didn't know anything about the Dark Arts, a werewolf, and an ex-Death Eater disguised as Alastor Moody. I really don't think we can top all of that," Blaise grinned.

"When you put it that way it makes me wonder how we've all made it to our fifth year," said Desiree.

"That truly is a miracle," Draco chuckled along with everyone else. The rest of the train ride carried on with the meaningless conversation of what everyone did over the summer. Though meaningless it assured Desiree that she'd always have people in her corner.

As the four stepped off the carriage Desiree stopped walking for a moment; taking in the view of the vast castle. The last time she was there she was mourning the loss of Cedric.

"Hey," Draco turned and walked back to her. "you're going to be alright. Come on," his cold hand grabbed hers. Desiree felt warmth grow in her chest. It was the first time in months she had felt it. She knew it was right this time.

"Thanks," she grinned as they sat down.

"Don't mention it," he grinned for a second until Crabbe and Goyle walked by. Desiree thought his behavior was strange when the other two boys walked by but merely brushed it off as the first years began to be sorted. Slytherin had an average year with gaining ten new first years. Dumbledore then started his speech that carried on like usual with the warning that the Forbidden Forest is forbidden for a reason. He then moved on to introduce the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

"We also wish to welcome our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now, as usual our caretaker Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you-" Dumbledore was cut off by the lady in pink. All of the students began to look around at each other in shock. No one had ever interrupted Dumbledore during his speech.

"Thank you headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me," Umbridge began. Desiree chuckled to herself realising that short woman resembled Neville Longbottom's toad, Trevor, far too much. Only Trevor was a bit more appealing to the eyes. Then she remembered her mother and father talking about a woman named Umbridge from work. 

"She works at the Ministry with my father. He's not very fond of her actually. Neither is my mother," Desiree whispered to Draco.

"My father's never mentioned her before," said Draco.

"I'm sure we're all going to very good friends," said Umbridge. "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school. Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged," she began pacing in front of Dumbledore. Desiree looked to Hermione from the Slytherin table. They were both clearly thinking the same thing because they both had worried expressions on their faces. "Let us preserve what must be preserved. Perfect what can be perfected. And prune practices that ought to be prohibited," she giggled.

"Do you know what this means?" Desiree asked Draco, Pansy, and Blaise.

"No," said Blaise.

"It means that the Ministry is interfering at Hogwarts," Desiree whispered to them.

"Maybe things will actually start to look up around here," said Draco.

"Yeah, up," she whispered to herself realizing that they didn't understand how it put them in danger more than it helped.