Chapter 6-7: Problems with Liquid Luck

The next morning, Desiree awoke on her own without an alarm. Her worry carried into her sleep, causing her to toss and turn into the night. She laid in her bed, silently staring at the emerald fabric that draped over her bed.

"Have you been up long?" Pansy asked, her yawn made it evident she had just woken up.

"No, just didn't want to get out of bed just yet," said Desiree, sitting up in her bed to look at Pansy.

"Well, if we get ready now, we'll get first pick on the breakfast food," Pansy stood from her bed, walking over to her wardrobe.

The girls' room was much larger than their ones in the past. Hogwarts made it evident that with each year you go through, your room gets larger. They both now had their own wardrobe, along with a desk and bed-side table. Their window showed the depths of the black lake per usual, though now it seemed a bit bright, indicating they were closer to the surface of the lake.

"Pansy, the plates refill themselves automatically," Desiree laughed, walking over to her wardrobe.

"I know, but we'll just have more time to eat before we have to go to our classes."

"You're lucky I'm already starving." Desiree began slipping on her skirt and blouse before pulling her robes over her shoulders. "Now, shall we be going?"

"Yeah, I just need to pin my Prefect badge on and grab my books," said Pansy.

With this, the girls began making their way up to the Great Hall. The closer they grew to the hall, the more students began to walk in with them. As the girls entered the Great Hall, Desiree saw Draco sitting at the Slytherin table, alone.

"Hey, are you alright?" Desiree sat down next to him. Pansy had gone off in conversation with Blaise about Inkypunks after he walked up behind them.

"Yeah," Draco nodded, taking a sip of his Pumpkin Juice. Though he did seem to be doing better than yesterday, something still seemed off.

"Are you sure?" Desiree looked at him dearly, putting grapes onto her plate as she did.

"Yeah, I've just been under a lot of stress since my father was sent to Azkaban," he looked into her eyes contently.

"Well, if you ever want to talk about it, I'm here. I hope you know that," she grabbed his hand, gently squeezing it.

"I know, and I do thank you for that," he nodded.

The rest of breakfast carried on quite well. Pansy and Blaise started a conversation with Desiree and Draco about what crazy event they thought would happen this year. Since obviously, they would never get a normal year at Hogwarts. Desiree thought it was funny to see what everyone thought would happen. But Draco, Draco seemed to grow shy when things neared the topic of Voldemort. Desiree didn't blame him. But she couldn't help but wonder why it seemed to bother him much more than she thought it would.

As the four walked back down to the dungeons for Potions, Desiree stayed close to Draco's side. Their hands occasionally grazed each other as they walked, yet they never took the extra step to interlock them.

Once arriving in the Potions classroom, they found their spot in the center of the room with the rest of the students. As usual, the Slytherins were paired up with the Gryffindors. Though Desiree never let someone's house determine her opinion on someone, she knew Gryffindors and Slytherins had always had some sort of strife between them. One that had been formed long before Desiree's generation arrived at Hogwarts.

"Do you smell that?" Pansy leaned in towards Desiree.

"Smell what?" Desiree's brows furrowed.

"It smells as though Blaise really layered his cologne on thick this morning," Pansy whispered, casting a short glance in Blaise's direction. Desiree took a deep breath in, only what she smelled was not what she knew to be Blaise's cologne. She smelled something different.