3. Next Of Kin

I was looking forward to my shift today, I had no idea why though. When I got there I was greeted by Chim. I changed before heading upstairs, I saw Buck. We both smiled at each other. The alarm went and we were called a cliff. A bouncy castle had taken flight with kids and an adult inside. "Adult male, down, on the hillside. We got three kids in a bouncy house." Hen said over the radio. I was hoping the kids were ok.

"All right, we're gonna stage the trucks on that service road. Hen, I want you, Y/n and Buck to rappel down, anchor that bouncy house. Assess the condition of those kids, start to send them down one-by-one in a basket. I'll take care of the dad. Chimney, you're gonna stay up here and work the winch." Dad said giving the orders, it was quite a long way down.

"Hey. How come I never get to do any of the fun stuff?" Chim asked, that was true. He was mainly working the lower less exciting things.

"Working the winch is fun." Dad said before hitting his arm. He started walking away so me, Hen and Buck followed after him. The four of us geared up before the three of us started descending down. We stabilized the bouncy house so Hen radioed Chim.

"Bouncy house secure, Chim." Hen said up to him.

"Copy." He said back. We descended more and looked in.

"Hey, kids, are you alright?" I asked them, the ones that were conscious nodded.

"Hey, guys? Hey! Hey, guys, we're...we're L.A. Fire and Rescue. We're gonna get you out of here, okay? Everybody, just stay calm." Buck said to them, they were all terrified.

"Hey, boys, can you tell if your friend here is okay? Is he awake? Is he breathing?" Hen asked them, they shook their heads.

"Lower the basket down, Chim." Buck radioed up.

"Copy." Chim replied.

"Is my dad okay?" One of the kids asked, me and Hen looked behind us.

"Listen, our captain is with him and I know that he will make sure that your dad is okay." I said to him. I saw that my Dad was talking which meant that the kids dad was alive.

"Chim, little lower." Buck said to him.

"Copy." Chim said in return.

"Boys, come on, let's go. Now." Hen said to them, they started moving.

"Be careful where you stand." I said to them, I didn't want them to stand on a rock especially since they were just in socks and it would hurt.

"All right, that's it. Nice and easy, nice and easy." Buck said to Chim. I saw the basket coming. We moved it inside the bouncy house. "All right, basket coming in, Hen." He said to her, she put the unconscious child in it before going down. "Hen's heading down. She's got one kid, come on." Buck said up to Chim.

"Hey, sweetheart it's your turn." I said with a smile to one of the two children. He started walking over to me. I grabbed a hold of him.

"Chim, I've got one. Take me down." I said up to him. I started going down and when I made it down I unattached myself from the winch and put the kid on the ground. I looked up and saw Buck coming down with the last child. When everyone was back on the ground. We headed back.

"You have a soft side. How come I've never seen it before?" Buck asked me as we walked over to the gym area.

"Mainly because that side only comes out when I speak to children and animals, mainly dogs." I said to him with a smile.

"So, how do I get to see that side of you more often?" He asked me with a smile, I mean I could think of a few ways.

"Sometimes it comes out when guys take me out on a date to somewhere. But not fancy restaurants, you have to save those for special occasions." I said to him, I pointed my finger at the end.