70. Past Is Prologue

How I was wishing that today would be easier than the hospital explosion. But of course it's never that simple. There was a pipe that burst and was compressing a car. "Dispatch, this is Captain Nash. 118. Please advise DWP to shut the power off on this street. Have them contact CalGEM to send a team of engineers to cap this well. What is the status of our victims?" Dad asked Dispatch as we all got out of the truck. This was messy.

"Gabi, the driver, appears uninjured, but it sounds like her passenger, Chloe, might have a brachial puncture wound." May said to us, this wasn't sounding good at all.

"How's her breathing?" Hen asked her.

"Described as labored." May said to us, we need to get them out as soon as we could.

"Copy that." Dad said her before Dad looked at us. "Okay, Y/n and Ravi, I want you to start foaming this are. We don't want any accidental sparks igniting this oil." Dad said to the two of, he looked glad to have me. We then started to get the gear and once we did we started foaming. "See if we can get that hatch open." Dad said and they started but they couldn't.

"Ah, it's jammed. Give me the Jaws. Come on!" Buck shouted before someone passed them to him.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, negative, negative! Buck, stop. Stop! We're on top of an oil well." Dad said to him, one wrong move and this goes into flames.

"Isn't that why we have the foam?" Eddie asked, not at all.

"No, the foam is just a Band-Aid. It's good for a spark or two, but we start cutting into metal, the whole thing's gonna go." Dad shouted at Buck and Eddie. Once we put the foam out I looked to dad.

"We shatter the back of the glass, then go in. No sparks with glass." Eddie said to dad, but it wasn't as easy as just that.

"But we got to cut through the seats to get to them, and again..." Dad started before looking at the others.

"Tools and sparks." Eddie said before I walked back over to the truck, there had to be another way.

"Hey! Hey!" Hen shouted as we went past me I went back over. "One of them has a sucking chest wound. If we don't get them out, she's gonna drown in her own blood. We can't wait." Hen shouted at us all, we needed a way with no sparks.

"We need someone to cap that well." Eddie said to us, it was going to be at least an hour for that.

"Well, maybe we cap it ourselves. Let's go." Dad said to us all and I looked at him, maybe we could. We were pushing. "Come on, everybody. Let's go. Let's push. All right, let's push, let's go. Everybody push. Push!" Dad shouted and we pushed. It's going, it's going. Push, guys, push. That's it. Let's go. Push, push, push. Keep going. That's it. Push. Push. That's it. Keep going, yeah." Dad said as we called it with the car. We then got the ladder and put it over the roof. We were breaking in.

"Glass breaking. Three, two, one." Buck said before breaking it. We were in.

"Bag. All right." Eddie said before Buck started talking to them. Eddie did as well but we couldn't here what they were saying. Gabi came out and Hen went in. We needed to get Chloe out and after a few minutes we did. The car was giving in. Thankfully everyone was out before the car flipped.

"I hope she's insure." Hen said making me smile.

"I don't think that would be my first question." I said, thankfully it was the end of shift. Once we got home I had a warm shower and was relaxed.

"Now, I made your favorite." Buck said to me while he put the plate of my favorite pasta on.

"And what makes it better is that you cooked." I said to him with a smile before eating some of it he smiled at me. Once we finished we started a movie but one thing led to another and we found ourselves in the bedroom with it still playing in the other room. Next shift was a bit easier. We were on a way to a call but I took a little nap.

"Cap knows of what he speaks. Apparently, May walked in on him and Athena reconnecting in the kitchen the other night." Hen said as I woke up and I looked at her with my eyes wide open.

"Hen, I did not need to know that." I said to her whilst everyone else was chuckling.

"Oh, god. Parental nightmare." Eddie said to us all.

"Well, apparently, my wife has been oversharing." Dad said to us all, I mean Athena tells me and Hen everything. But clearly not this for reasons.

"I mean, I just wasn't aware that we were able to bring our gear home for recreational purposes." Hen got out, this was just making everything worse for me.

"Aw..." Buck got out in horror.

"You've been playing sexy firefighter, Cap?" Ravi asked him, I didn't even want to know the answer.

"What makes you think that I was the firefighter?" Dad got out, this was just making things worse.

"Oh, come on. I don't want to think about that, and...now I can't stop." Buck said while Hen was just laughing.

"Can we change the subject now." I said with a disgusted expression.

"Tejada. You called it in." Dad said as we arrived on scene and saw officer Tejada.

"Yeah. I was driving by, and I saw the hood up, and that's when I saw him." Tejada said before Dad, Eddie and Hen walked over to the victim. The rest of us weren't needed so we just waited in the truck. Once shift was over it was nice to be home.

"So, tonight I was thinking we could go out to a restaurant, take Martina with us and afterwards get ice cream and head home." Buck said to me and I smiled at him.

"Sounds like a perfect night." I said to him with a smile and he let out a little chuckle.

"I'm glad because I've booked a table." He said to me making me smile.

"Then I should get ready." I said to him with a smile, he smiled back at me. Let's just so it was such an amazing night, the perfect family night. Today at shift I was helping Ravi get coffee but I wasn't allowed to tell him anything.

"Three minutes?!" Hen said as we came outside.

"And every single one is correct." I said with a smile.

"How the hell did you manage to shave almost three minutes off of Buck's best coffee run time?" Hen asked him with a smile as we all took our coffees.

"It's called a mobile order, Hen. Walked in and the drinks were waiting." Ravi said to us before we all got in the engine. That night was the night I had a surprise. We heard a knock on the door and I went to get it. To my surprise it was Brett.

"Fresh from Chicago. Why if it isn't Sylvie Brett." I said with a smile before hugging her.

"Well I had to come and see my niece for myself. Over video just wasn't enough. Where is she?" She asked me as I let her in and shut the door behind her.

"She's right here." Buck said bringing her into the room, Martina smiled as she saw Sylvie.

"Aw, she's cuter in person. Come to Auntie Sylvie." Brett said before Buck handed her over, I smiled at the sight. "Now, you two have given me the cutest niece. When is Martina getting a sibling?" She said while swaying with her.

"It's in discussion." Buck said to her making her smile a little.

"Well, Buck, you two hurry up because there needs to be another beauty on this earth. Now am I ok to go take her out shopping." She said to the two of us and we looked at each other.

"Of course, just don't spoil her too much." I said to before Buck went to get her buggy.

"Enjoy, your private time." She said to us both. She even put a wink on the end. And let's just say we made the most of the hour before she returned. "When I said hurry I didn't mean right now." She said to us making us both chuckle. She was leaving in a day so the next day I manage to spend time with her before she went back to Chicago. And god I missed her when she left.