44. The One Who Got Away

For the last call of the night we were responding to an apartment fire. We didn't have much time. "Northeast window!" Someone shouted, they were multiple stations here. We all entered the building trying to find any remaining survivors.

"Anybody here? LAFD." Buck shouted, the smoke was thick making it hard to see.

"Floor looks empty, Cap." Eddie said to Dad.

"Let's make sure." Dad shouted before me and him went over to different doors.

"LAFD! Anyone here!" I shouted while banging on the door.

"LAFD!" Eddie shouted, I opened up the apartment door and saw no one.

"Clear!" I shouted at them.

"LAFD. Anybody there?" Dad asked while looking in to his apartment. I then moved to the next one.

"LAFD!" Eddie called out.

"LAFD! Anyone here?" I shouted before opening another door but nothing again.

"Guys, guys, over here! Over here." Buck said to us and we all went over to him. Buck started kicking the door open. Someone was definitely inside. "LAFD! Is anyone in here?" Buck shouted as we entered the apartment. "Is anyone here?" Buck asked. "Cap, over here!" Buck shouted before Dad went over to Buck. "Sir, are you hurt?" Buck asked him while talking to the guy. He'd hit us head on the bathtub.

"Don't know. Can't get up." He said back, well we were here to help.

"I need 0-2!" Buck shouted.

"O-2 coming in. Get me the mattress carrier." Dad said after handing Buck the O-2.

"All right, can you wiggle your toes for me, sir? All right, there we go." Eddie said to him, we needed to move.

"Okay, mattress secure." Dad said to us.

"All right, let's pull him up." Buck said to us, I nodded.

"Wait. Gladys." The man said to us, there was someone else.

"I'll go and see what I can find." I said to them before going off to find someone. I couldn't find anything. It wasn't long until I saw Buck exit the bathroom.

"Find anything?" He asked me. I shook my head.

"Nothing." I said to him. We had to find her.

"Gladys! Gladys, come on kitty!" Buck asked while looking, I figured it was a pet after seeing the little cage.

"Gladys!" I shouted.

"Mayday, mayday. Building is unstable. We're calling it for immediate evacuation." The commander said over the radio. Buck and I looked at each other.

"Y/n, go. I've got this." He said to me, I shook my head.

"You know I'm not doing that. I'm staying to help you." I said to him. He knew there was no point in arguing with me because he wouldn't win.

"Buck, Y/n, let's go. Let's get outta here." Dad said to us we weren't leaving.

"Gladys? Come on, Gladys. We really gotta go." Buck shouted.

"Come on, Gladys. We're going to take you to safety." I said to her.

"Gladys?" Buck asked before we got a meow back. We both looked at each other and started looking. "Gladys!" Buck shouted once he saw something. He then picked her up and we started leaving the building. Once we got out we went straight over to him in medical tent.

"Did you get her? Please, tell me." He said to us Buck smiled and showed him the cat.

"I got her. I got Gladys. She is okay." Buck said while smiling at him.