32. Triggers

It had been a few weeks, I'd flown to Chicago and back for Otis' funeral but I didn't stay long. I was also fully recovered and working again. Even if every other hour someone would me if I was ok. Buck was also working again but not at the firehouse just yet. Today we had to do a fire drill at a high rise building. Once we got there I was dreading what was going to be heard. Once we got there we all looked up.

"My God, that's the biggest Damn fire I've never seen." Chim said making me smile.

"Let's hope this never becomes a real one." I said to him, I was hoping this would never happen. Hen and Eddie went to fix the hose to the hydrant whilst I stood next dad.

"I hate fire drills." Hen said to us.

"Same here." I said to her while looking at what Dad was reading.

"City mandates we do 'em every three years. Can't fight city hall." Eddie said to us, I never understood the point in them. There could be people in need of help but instead were doing drills instead.

"First alarm was triggered at 12:20. Call came in 30 seconds later. Boots down, hoses out, 12:43." Dad said while working everything out.

"That's what?" Eddie asked him.

"Four minutes over our allotted response time." Dad said to us, we we're definitely going to lose some points.

"Ouch, that's gonna cost us some points." Chim said to us.

"And I don't think he's gonna take to this easily." I said to them.

"Someone's gonna have to explain that to the new fire marshal." Hen said before they all looked at Dad.

"I'll explain, Y/n can work her magic on him." Dad said to us all. And we were going to get even more points deducted now. We then walked over to the new fire marshal. The new marshal being Buck. "There was a stalled bus blocking both directions on Grand. Vehicles couldn't clear a path, which delayed our arrival." Dad explained to him.

"And yet the 144 managed a response time in under six minutes. That is a full 17 minutes before the 118." Bucks said to us, I think he was forgetting how far away their station was.

"The 144 is five blocks away." Dad said to him.

"Therefore they will always be quicker than us." I said to him. He was buying it.

"I hear you, Bobby and Y/n, I do. And- -and I wanna help. I gotta be impartial here, you know? Look, if I'm gonna do this kind of light duty, I gotta take it seriously, okay, be strictly by the book, just how you would want me to be." He said to us, I liked how he was taking this seriously.

"For what it's worth, I'm proud of you. I'm glad you didn't throw away your career just 'cause you had a little setback." Dad said to him with a smile.

"And I'm proud of you as well for getting back at there and working so hard." I said to him with a smile.

"If I learned one thing from that tsunami, it's that I don't quit. I fight. I'm gonna keep on fighting till I get back to where I belong: with my team, putting out fake fires like this one." Buck said to us, he really was enjoying this. Which was nice to see.

"You're enjoying this way too much." Dad said before walking away.

"Be careful not to logjam at the stairwells. I'll have to- -oh." Buck said before walking over there, I shook my head and followed him. He then walked back over to the door after inspecting everything.

"Come here." I said to him with open arms. He walked into them and I hugged him.

"How have you been today?" He asked me softly.