CHAPTER 060

I paced around my room feeling sweat build up in my palms as I rubbed them together. My feet were aching as I paced back and forth having done this for the past hour or so. Suleiman asked for a family meeting this morning, he said that he wanted to meet everyone in the family after his Friday prayers. Hundi tried to calm down along with Halil but my nerves were going crazy and all I could think of is what if he found out that I had hidden this letter for years before giving it to him.

"Come on, Sultanim, it's time" Hundi called from the door. I rubbed my hands on my dress to get rid of any sweat before I walked out of the door with her by my side.

"Has anyone in the harem heard?" I asked as we made our way through the harem. Some of the maids held disappointed looks on their faces while others had betrayal.

"Yes, of course, don't worry we took care of everything. Now everyone knows that Hürrem Sultan betrayed this majesty" Hundi answered. I nodded satisfied and continued making my way to the harem.

When I walked into the Sultan's room I noticed that I was the last to arrive, the Valide along with Hatice Sultan, Gulfem, and Mahidevran was here along with Ibrahim Pasha and Mustafa. I was confused as to why Ibrahim Pasha was in here with us but I let it go. Suleiman was standing on the other side of the room with a stone-like face on. I bowed to him and the Valide Sultan before taking my place in between Hatice and Mahidevran.

"Now my lion, will you tell us why you asked for this meeting?" The Valide Sultan asked impatiently. She obviously couldn't wait to get rid of Hürrem no matter how or for what gain.

"This morning I divorced Hürrem and her execution for her treason shall be today" Suleiman explained. Hatice gasped beside me and stared at her brother wide-eyed. I clenched my fists tightly by my side feeling guilt consume me but my sisters were more important to me than Hürrem ever could be.

"What about her children?" The Valide Sultan asked. It was no secret that she wanted to raise them the way she wants and probably make them hate their mother.

"Qamar will take care of them from this day forth, this way they will be raised along with their siblings" My eyes widened at his statement, he wanted me to raise the children of the woman I caused the death of. I didn't know if this was a blessing or a punishment from the almighty for my sins.

"I am honored" I bowed trying not to show my true emotions. I gulped when my eyes met his but his face remained stone cold.

"I assign you Hürrem's room where the children will stay, this way you all will fit comfortably" Suleiman wrapped his arms behind his back which made him look taller than he already was. I turned to look at the Valide who was fuming with anger and eyeing Ibrahim as if he had any say in the harem. Hatice seemed sad over the fact that they will be orphaned so young. Mahidevran seemed to be glowing with glee while Mustafa was emotionless about the whole thing.

"Now, Ibrahim and Mustafa will come with me to the clearing to witness the execution" Suleiman turned around and left without another word. Ibrahim and Mustafa followed him silently.

"This is it" Hatice muttered as two aghas dragged a squirming Hürrem over to the middle of the clearing and made her kneel in front of Suleiman. He was perched upon his throne glaring down at her with Ibrahim and Mustafa to his right.

"Why are you doing this? What have I done?" Hürrem asked crying. Her eyes were bloodshed and she looked exhausted and starved. I looked down feeling tears build up in my eyes as a silk rope was wrapped around my only friend's neck.

Suleiman ignored her and turned to Ibrahim who nodded and raised his hand making the executioners take position behind her and one held the right side of the rope while a second held the left side. Ibrahim lowered his hand back to his side and that is when the ropes started chocking her. I remembered when I was almost killed by a silk rope on the hands of executioners who rebelled.

"Su-Suileman" Hürre chocked clawing at the rope to be removed from her neck but nothing worked. It took a couple of minutes but then she fell on her front unmoving and eyes closed. One of the two executioners kneeled down beside her and felt for a pulse but there was none so he shook his head. Suleiman stood up from his throne and walked back into the palace.

"Excuse me" I pushed past the Sultanas and ran back to the palace. I didn't bother changing out of my outer clothes and made my way straight to my room. I barged in and locked the door behind me. Guilt was eating me alive for what I did, I killed my only friend but I had no choice, my sisters would have been in her place instead.

I took a deep breath to calm myself down, I didn't do anything wrong, one of us had to die either way because if we stayed alive then we would have turned into enemies for our sons to survive but now she died while we were still friends, this way she will remember me as her friend, she will understand me because she had a sister once too. I walked over to my desk and pulled out a piece of parchment and feather, I dipped the feather into the inch and began writing.

Sahihuban Sultan

What you asked of me has been done, Hürrem was executed for treason over a sin she committed many years ago and I opened Suleiman's eyes to it. I expect my sisters to be by my side within the week or I will show Suleiman every single letter you sent me and open his eyes to your own treasons.

I advise you to do as you said you would otherwise there will be even more dire consciences than just Suleiman's wrath. I am being furious at this point and I am ready to walk through fire now to get what I want and that is my sisters alive and unharmed

Qamar Haseki Sultan

"Mal!" I called. My maid walked in as I rolled the letter and sealed it shut. I held the letter out to her and she took it from me confused.

"Send this to Sahihuban Sultan, in secret" I ordered

"Send this to Sahihuban Sultan, in secret" I ordered. She bowed and left without another question. That's what I loved about the maids that served me, they didn't question me and did as told.