Male! Vampire (Ezekiel) X Human Reader 4

A/N: The first fic of the new year. Happy New Year to everyone and stay safe!

Warnings: mentions of death, blood and slight gore. Will be in mostly Ezekiel's POV.

A Night To Die For Part 4 (FINALE)

Every night, he dreamt of how he died, though it had taken many years to get used to it.

Ezekiel had perfected a technique in cheating death, his fate undecided as to why he was still living, albeit in a body cursed from its resurrection.

Each night, day in and out, a vivid memory of everything from the moment he took his last breath.

Perhaps it had been a curse for his old ways, of the incomplete life he has lived, now his memories were forgotten and collecting dust in the confines of his mind.

Ezekiel was – or had been – a man who gambled his life away through mayhem and boisterous misbehaviour, the misfit child to the lofty Valentine line, set in stone to always disappoint.

It had been his youngest sister, Alexandra who had set herself as the golden child of the family: dutiful and compliant and never one to set outside of speak against another.

It had been his grand-uncle, Cornelius, the poised and silent type of his relatives, to move him to a better path.

He still remembered their walks every week, strolling across the grand estate, book in hand, his uncle's warm hand on his shoulder.

'When you think the world is against you, Zeke, don't turn your back on it. Face it head-on, and maybe, it will have something awaiting you.'

He passed that same year when Ezekiel had been ten, not following a few months later, his father had set him for boarding school with little condolences after unsuccessful bouts of threats for priesthood fell over deaf ears. He came back the same young man – slightly taller yet just as arrogant.

'Must you go? You know it won't be the same without you.' He remembered her face: her downcast eyes looking at him as he said his goodbyes. 'You know I have to do this for father.' He said, smiling as bright as possible. 'I'll be back from this trip before you know it, Alix.'

He kissed his sister's cheek when she went to hug him, 'Come back home, Zeke. For the sake of our family.'

He would have laughed, he should've, reassured his little sister that her qualms were to be carried away by the wind, but how was he to know of the troubles?

He didn't want to take the journey, had it been for his father deciding that he would go on this journey in representing the Valentine family, future head of the line. But, Ezekiel in some ways, was a family man: drawn to the opulence that came from his line and from his forefathers he was named after.

It had been twilight when the accident had happened: a simple storm had the carriage he rode in stray off course, flipping down into a ditch, leaving him alone and cold. He could've survived, lived through it and had a funny old tale to tell his sister when he returned home, but the numbing pain in his chest was enough to keep him rooted inside, dreading how he would be found.

The roof of the carriage had caved in, allowing nature to spring itself inside, a lone piece of bark the length of him lodged in his chest, deep and not letting him go. This is how I die then. He thought, the world surrounding him already cold and dark, now numbing his body with his eyes blinking in and out of consciousness.

What had he been thinking in those moments? He couldn't recall, though he would've believed it would've been apologies to Alix, resentment and curses to his old man, and acceptance in seeing his grand-uncle again—wherever he had been taken.