Drow Boyfriend: Aadesh

His eyes were like gleaming crimsons: shining brightly beneath the dim candle-lit ceiling of the cosy inn, eyes engrossed on the concoction you had bought for him.

It had been the first thing you noticed about him: how bright and curious his eyes were, taking everything in around him. Seemingly there was some life and wonder left in him, after everything he had been through, and when you had met him a month or two back, he was a scrawny, frightened, shell of a person, too feeble to neither beg nor fight for survival.

It was all they were known for, the Drow. Fighting, slavery, blood sacrifices. But he had been different from the horrors of bad men. Perhaps something to keep your dim and gloomy nights more occupied.

When his eyes drifted from the drink to look back at you, there was uncertainty bubbling at the surface of his gaze, an awkward, crooked smile gracing his wan features.

"So... what was this again?" His voice was raspy yet soft, different to his kind when they spoke the Common tongue.

"Mead. It's got honey in it. I think you'd like it." You took a small sip from your own, humming to yourself when the mixture hit the back of your throat, smooth and sweet. Aadesh – as he had been liked to be called – copied your actions, gingerly taking a sip from his cup, swishing it around his mouth before finally, painstakingly swallowing.

His eyes lit up with some stark suddenness, lips twitching. "It's not as bad as I had imagined."

"That's good." Your head swayed like walking on the deck of a rocking boat, a smile of your own deliriously falling to your face. "My father would've paid good money for it to not go to waste."

"Understandable," Aadesh murmured, gaze drifting to the other patrons of the small inn, live music bringing the tips of his long ears to twitch. Even under the heavy dark hood, he wore to guard his face, the gloves on his fingers, you could still gauge the pale white tresses falling in front of his eyes, longer than normal elf ears prominent.

How you had gotten past the guards outside the door was still astounding, and Aadesh had predicted they had been drunk themselves like the ones indoors.

"There are not many sweet things that await in the Underdark." Aadesh sighed, swirling the mug around in a languid wobble of his wrist. Had he been drunk already on the honeyed drink, or had you been overthinking things? There was a feverish glow to his purple skin, glowing in the low light. "There are much darker things that not many men have seen."

"Is it truly terrible as people say?" You had only heard of stories from those of your village: stories to keep children from misbehaving, terrible stories before bed. When the Drow's gaze met you once more, the alcohol seemingly washed away the easy comfort from his features, warping them to be dishevelled, almost ghostly.

"They are not people I would rather be with anymore." He surprised you when he reached over the small gap of the table, placing his deft fingers atop yours, stroking your knuckles with ease. "The people, though strange up here, seem to be better than those below."

No one is nice, up or down. You wished to tell him, but the innocent, soft smile he was giving you ached your heart, and you let it slide away from the confines of your mind. "Where would you go instead."

Aadesh's laughter was sudden yet wholesome, the same sound you would hear when the wind picked up and danced along your hair; breathtaking. His hold on your hand didn't falter. "Wherever you go."