Aarakocra Boyfriend: Enzo 2

Started my new job so that means updates maybe once a month now. I will try and get more updates down during the weekend, but I will try to keep writing as I am slightly stiff at it now. 

Burning Heart Part 2

Relationship: male monster x female reader

Soft snow had never stopped falling, cascading like silver droplets over a landscape of white, a perfect backdrop that no one could grow sick of.

Yet, you found yourself sick of the view. Stuck within the cave's confines, the backdrop of snow had become your constant view day in and out, surrounded by the heavy flurry that never seemed to stop.

The only warmth that came to you was from the dimly lit fire, slowly dying as its embers cooled, needing to be rekindled once more. Not long before they die down. You thought. Perhaps, I could be rid of this Hell.

There was some movement that came from the entrance of the cave: the howling wind died down for a moment when you heard the sound of shuffling snow and someone approaching. Your fingers the small hunting knife, heart palpating uncomfortably in your chest.

When the dread settled emerged the culprit: the red-brown feathers seemed to dampen from the cold and hailing blizzard, Enzo entered the cave and carried some sticks for the fire, mind overtaken with the thought that reached his neutral face.

For a moment, you only watched, watched the way he approached the dwindling flames, kneeling as he prepped the logs. His eyes seemed to care for the fire as he poked and prodded, cinders and ash that once seemed blackened, emerged with life and roared slowly, a proud look reaching his features.

Unexpectantly, his eyes moved up and met yours, and neither of you could react. You felt as if you were too scared to look away, watching those hawk-eyes bore into yours with such a look that you couldn't decipher.

Finally, Enzo clicked his tongue, rolling his shoulders back as he poked the flames.

"Still cold?"

"Always."

He didn't answer back, tending to the flames before they were soon coming back to life, and when he moved away from them, you felt the warmth wash over you the same way a blanket would be pulled over you; familiar and tender.

"I don't get how you humans haven't keened over from your lack of wits." Enzo mocked wryly, though it seemed as if he was nervous about something, his body seemingly inching closer to get to yours. "How can a race that's survived thousands of years be so clueless?"

"Beats me," you rolled your eyes, shivering when the cold caught you by surprise, and you hugged yourself as tightly as possible. You tried to stop yourself from shivering, but your chattering teeth gave it all away, the pinpricks of your hairs pointing upright.

Enzo made no noise as he watched you silently, before he sighed heavily, shifting to come over to you. He plopped himself onto the rock beside you, taking in the flames, and you had to pretend you didn't see the wing come over your shoulder and awkwardly pull you into his chest.

You squeaked when your face fell into contact with his chest and was surprised by the warmth that followed. It felt endearing, being swaddled by him and being looked after.

The two of you sat in silence, enjoying the sounds of the flames as you felt your heart heat up with warmth. The sounds grew silent outside, which you grew to ignore. Yet the Aarakocra seemed unsettled.

Enzo's head pointed upright, shoulders straightened, hawk-like eyes peering out from the small crack of the outside world, squinting them inquisitively. "What's the matter?"