Shadow Boyfriend x Female Reader [NSFW]

There was something so calming about the darkness – something that you never felt afraid of since you were a child. Your parents neglected oftentimes to let you be a child, sometimes it was the subtle ways of showing they didn't really have the want to attend to a child.

You were never bothered by it, in fact, you always felt you had... someone watching over you. Making sure you never got up to anything bad or did anything alone that would danger you or others.

You had told them that this person was your friend; there with you when you had little friends in school.

Your parents thought little of your imaginary friend: more relieved you wouldn't have to ask them to play dolls, you could have the entertainment of your imagination.

You were sure that your 'imaginary' friend was more than just that – they was something so human about it that you could never put your finger on, but you knew that there was something to be afraid of, that whatever your guardian angel was, they never would harm you.

As you grew older, you grew to become more independent, forgetting of a bleak and forgotten childhood you had as you made your way to college and moved out of your parent's home – forgetting of what was once anything to associate yourself with your home.

Years went by and seasons came and went, and soon, you were just twenty-five years young, a graduate out of college and moving back to collect more of your things from your parent's old home.

It didn't take long for them to want to move out and go and get a smaller house, and so, it was your job to collect the rest of your things before they were to sell the entire property for good.

You came through the front door, shuffling to put your keys and bag on the floor, looking around to see such a place like this bring back weird memories of melancholic nostalgia.

You remembered the hallway smelling of sweet fresh oranges and chocolate – thanks to your mother always bringing sweet-smelling candles and baking in her spare time – you had thought the smell would've gone away by now.

You walked through aimlessly trying to pinpoint every memory you could have from this house: from feuds and fights with your mother to sleepless nights stressing over exams and finals, to mundane things like sorting out your wardrobe and giggling over crushes.

You were heading up the stairs to your room: small and cramped as you remembered it to be. The wallpaper had crumpled and stained from over the years, your small bed had still been there but you had to sell it or put it for jumble.

You could barely fit inside, thinking about how someone could grow into it for eighteen years of your life.

You sat on the floor by the window, staring out on the neighbourhood street, counting the drops to every raindrop that fell and cascaded down.

You were staying the few days to pack your things before giving the keys to the next owner, so you had exactly three days to pack away your things; meaning you would have to spend those nights alone here to get up bright and early to pack.

You had spent the whole afternoon packing when you spotted the small things: you would find the smallest things you owned going missing and reappearing in other spots of the house, in places that you swore you didn't put, to begin with.

There would be odd cold spots whenever you went into a certain room, and when you went to go stand to investigate, it would disappear into thin air and go back to normal once again.

You had finally settled down for the evening, sitting on the old couch for the few nights as you got your laptop out and watched films whilst you ordered for pizza.