Chapter 11 - Promise

A/N: Was listening to 'Till My Heartaches End' covered by KZ Tandingan when I wrote this chapter. You can listen to it on repeat for a better reading experience. 

---

Celeste opened her eyes again.

It felt like an eternity. The time she has spent crying over the loss of her son inside her void had been too long she lost track of time both on the inside and outside world.

"Lady Celeste is awake!" She heard a servant speak loudly from beside her bed but she remained unresponsive.

The Sovereign of Frost completely laid there. Her breath was calm and her eyes were fixated on the golden ceiling that had a magnificent chandelier attached on it.

"My Lady! Are you okay?! Do you feel unwell anywhere?!" Priests gathered around her.

Yet she still did not respond. She couldn't. She felt empty after everything.

'I could not feel Leandro's presence in the kingdom,' she thought as she laid still. Her chest moved up and down as her calm breaths resonated in the crowded room.

Everything had been ruined.

Every last one of her dreams had been ruined.

"Quickly cast healing magic towards Lady Celeste!" The priests called but this time, Celeste turned to look at them in which they all flinched in response.

"My son..." She whispered but loud enough for them to grasp her thoughts. Immediately, the priests froze and their hearts raced.

Celeste had lost consciousness right before everything unfolded. They couldn't get themselves to bring her the horrendous news of what happened to one of her sons.

"My Lady..." The head priest spoke for them and he gulped after seeing Celeste's empty look on her face.

"W-Where is Pier...?" She inquired and they all raised their eyebrows when she mentioned the name of her other son.

Wasn't she worried as to what happened with her other child? When she witnessed before losing consciousness was the servant bringing Pier to her?

"Pier is currently heavily guarded by high priests as well as the royal knights, Lady Celeste," the head priest spoke and Celeste closed her eyes for a second.

Relief flooded through her entire body knowing that Pier was safe.

'At least he is safe,' she thought and refrained from moving for a few more minutes.

But that relief did nothing to wash away the pain she had in her chest.

Like a drop of water trying to put out a burning mountain, it did little to nothing in easing everything she felt right now.

Yet Celeste found refuge in the knowledge that Pier was still alive and well.

She opened her eyes once more and this time, decided to rise from her lying position and sit up straight. Her hair was just as beautiful.

"My lady..." Celeste wanted to shut her ears close. She did not want to listen to the next words the priest would say.

She wanted to deny everything that she saw in her void and just go on with her daily life. With her fiancé, with her children.

The agony she was feeling became unmovable mountains that blocked her path.

"About your son..." Pain pierced her heart knowing that the next sentence would absolutely destroy her.

'Please...' She lowered her head and clenched her hands.

'Enough...' The pain did not equate into a hundred daggers stabbed in her heart.