Chapter 113 - Race and Bets

"There are quite plenty of competitors for this year's horse racing," Emperor Adin muttered as he sat on his seat that had the perfect view of the entire tiltyard where the racing will be held.

Similar to modern-day track, the tiltyard was a designated area where knights and their horses gathered to compete in various competitions. Today, there was a specific course built on the area where the competitors would have to go through and race with one another.

"That is correct, Your Majesty. Ever since the announcement of the young master's presence in our empire, knights from neighboring and foreign countries took interest in the competition," Leon Perez, the Duke of the Central Region and one of the emperor's confidants responded. Emperor Adin smiled as he scanned his eyes around the place.

Though a majority of the competitors were knights of the Belmaid Empire, there were a lot of knights who came from other places too since their armors were of different builds.

"He sure has a huge influence in this continent already. Don't you think, Duke?" The man asked and the duke in question nodded his head. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"If only he isn't holding hands with death, he would be a great asset to the empire."

"As you've said, Your Majesty, it is our protector's decision to kill him during the hunting competition." Duke Perez was one of the nobles who attended the secret underground meeting where the dragon of Belmaid was watching over them.

"I know. That's why it is such a waste to kill him but we cannot defy the protector's judgment. His words are greater than mine." The duke wasn't able to respond to that and instead, he kept silent as he continued viewing the participants who were getting ready.

A few moments from now, the competition would start.

"So, who are you betting on?"

"Pardon?"

"Who are you rooting for in the racing?" Adin inquired as he leaned back in his seat.

Duke Perez was silent for a few seconds before thinking about who he would be placing his stakes on. Unlike the previous competitions where the competitors were all from Belmaid, this year would be tough considering the new faces present.

They all looked formidable. Plenty of the foreigners in the field right now look like they are going to win without a hassle.

"You must be having a hard time. I understand that."

"I apologize, Your Majesty."

"It's alright. Can you see those knights gathered in the corner?" Emperor Adin pointed and Duke Perez' gaze followed the direction he was looking over. There, he saw a bunch of knights who were only dressed in a silver helm that covered their heads and trousers. Their chests and torsos were exposed to the chilly winds.

"Ah... The Regis Empire from the South," Perez acknowledged.

The Eastern Continent was divided into two huge land masses by a single enormous river. The northern part of it contained all the known territories such as the Cresencia, Belmaid, Taron, Heron, and even the Mir Mountains.

Past the Great River are the southern countries such as the Regis Empire.

"I can also see the Silverpeak Kingdom's knights gathering in another spot." Perez's eyes followed and he was amused seeing another group of knights who wore a full-on silver armor with silver-like swords dangling from their waist.

It's going to be a tough competition with the presence of these notable countries from the south.

Of course, the northern territories are well-known in the south. Taron is especially well-known for housing a war household, which was the House of Masters, in its territory. Heron is known for its huge number of priests and mages that could use holy magic while Belmaid and Cresencia have been lately recognized as the two beasts on war.