Chapter 135 - The Final Challenge (2)

A/N: Song for this chapter is "LOML" by Taylor Swift. You can listen to it while reading for the best experience. Enjoy!

---

Silas hummed as he watched the destructive power Perez held. He was in awe while watching the young man battle against an enormous monster that enveloped the entire city with deathly smoke.

'I guess I don't need to do anything anymore. He can defeat even the final challenge by himself,' he thought to himself as he relaxed in his safe little bubble along with the other hunters who couldn't go out because of the toxic smoke.

And a few minutes later, they saw how the giant shadow monster came crashing down. It didn't even destroy anything but just vanished into thin air unveiling more and more toxic smoke as its final attempt to kill the hunters.

But Perez just stood there. The golden light surrounding his body covered him from any damage that could have destroyed him.

He was about to close his eyes and sleep for a minute while floating in the air when all of a sudden, a notification appeared in his status window.

[Great news! Upon beating the record of the shortest time a challenge was cleared, you are given an award by the system!]

His eyebrow rose and something welled up inside him. He didn't know what it was because he was pretty confident Perez would easily slash through the final challenge with ease considering the previous two challenges were much harder than any challenge the system could ever give.

[You now have the option to immediately face the final challenge "Malevolent Wraith" as the 100th challenge! Clear the final challenge and you will achieve glory beyond imagination!]

An amused look appeared on Silas' face as he looked at the rest of the hunters who were clamoring around Perez who had returned to their side after defeating the Primal Specter.

He could see them looking at each other until all eyes eventually turned to Perez. Perez, in turn, looked at him for any say he had about the situation. He just smiled.

Whether they take on the challenge right now or not, they will eventually have to face the Malevolent Wraith sooner or later. It would be better to finish this now.

He wants to go home and finish the war.

And as he thought about home, the entire sky blackened.

The sunny sky instantly turned dark and Silas roamed his eyes as he was amazed by the event. He remembered how the same event happened when Fenrir-

The black clouds floating above their heads started gathering in one place and swirled as if creating a portal for a creature to pass through. As the clouds continued swirling together, he could feel the presence of death lingering around.

Until the creature of the final challenge finally appeared.

But it wasn't like anyone had thought it would be. It wasn't a huge creature with monstrous features.

It was a man.

A man with his head hung low as his arms were spread as if he was crucified.

Silas paused. His eyes didn't move anymore and was focused on the person who appeared from the swirling clouds. The light mood he had earlier instantly turned dark. He couldn't take his gaze away from the man's face.

It felt like an eternity watching blood drip down from the person's head. Each and every time blood dribbled from his forehead down to the ground, his heartbeat's pace increased every single time.