Chapter 9 - Give and Take

A/N: For unknown reasons, I was listening to Isabella's lullaby from The Promised Neverland when I wrote this. You can try listening to it too for a better reading experience.

Warning, graphic content ahead.  Reader discretion is advised.

---

"Y-Your Highness! I-I greet Her Royal Highness, Princess Dianne!" A servant who was folding clothes while she sat on a stool abruptly spoke in surprise.

Her calm face instantly was turned surprised and her heart pounded in her ears.

Lowering her head, the servant placed her palm on her chest and lowered her head in respect.

"Greetings. You may raise your head," the princess spoke and she immediately did so.

With bright and sparkling eyes, the servant opened her mouth to speak. "May I ask why her highness has come into the chambers of Young Master Leandro and Lady Celeste?"

But the princess did not answer. Instead, her gaze wafted to the sounds of two children playing with each other as they sat in their crib.

"Gaa!" The first child that caught Dianne's attention had raven-dark hair and striking blue eyes.

"Is that Leandro's son?" She inquired the servant who nodded her head in return.

"Yes, your highness. This is Pier, the firstborn son of Young Master Leandro and Lady Ce-" yet she did not even get to finish her sentence when Dianne raised her hand. In an instant, the servant stopped talking and silence filled the atmosphere.

Step. Dianne took a stride toward the child with a somber look on her face. Her eyes could not leave the child named Pier.

"He looks like Leandro so much..." she mumbled underneath her breath.

She had seen the twins during the gathering but only for a short moment when Headmaster Spencer introduced them to the people. Dianne was not able to get close to the twins as they were immediately taken out of sight after the introduction.

But now, right in front of her were the two children of Leandro Belmiunde.

"I agree, your highness. Pier has taken after the young master. He will be as handsome too when he reaches of age," the servant spoke with a loving tone laced on her voice as she viewed Pier who held a toy in his hand and was playing with it.

"Leandro..." Yet she did not even hear the servant's sentiments. Her thoughts were clouded with so many emotions.

"But isn't her highness supposed to be at the garden with the young master and lady?" The servant inquired again seeing that Dianne was not furious with her.

That made the princess stop.

She lowered her head and her shoulders hunched.

That's right. She was supposed to be in the garden right now enjoying the warm afternoon sun and drinking tea with her men.

Leandro and Henry. She was supposed to be with them right now while talking and laughing about many things.

She should've been sitting with them right now while talking about her interests.

"That's right." She chuckled. "I am supposed to be in the garden right now."

Pushing her hair back, Dianne raised her stance and stood with elegance. Her posture was straight and void of any imperfections.

"But they kicked me out," she said with a smile. In return, the servant gasped in shock at the words Dianne had spoken.

"Oh my goodness!" The maid exclaimed in exasperation earning her another light laugh from the princess.