Chapter 7 - Something I Can Get Used To

[Correlates with Chapter 16-17 of Don't Fall For The Criminal. Book 1]

"This place is so cute" Mackenzie told me as her eyes wondered around the diner.

"Yeah it's nice" I agreed with her. We've been here for a little while now. We have a food and have been talking about a bunch of random topics.

I've gotten to know more about her. I told her maybe one thing about me and I'm going to keep it like that just a little longer. But I've found out that she's only a junior yet she tutors Travis who's a senior. That made me laugh. Also found out that means she's only seventeen. Which I don't know how to feel about that considering I'm twenty one. But I didn't tell her that.

"Uncle Nick? Again" She said with a laugh. I looked back to see Detective Nick Stokes. You have to be fucking kidding me. That's her uncle? I turned around and just hoped in my head that nothing will happen.

"Weird I'm seeing you everywhere" I heard his voice get closer. I don't even want to look at him.

"McCann" I heard him greet me. Of course he couldn't just call me Jason. He had to say my last name. In public.

"Stokes" I said back with a nod. I glanced at Mackenzie who looked confused. I just looked down at the table. He killed my brother. But he also let me go and didn't put me in jail. He changed my life forever by taking my brother from me.

"You two know each other?" Mackenzie asked us. I scoffed. Stokes chuckled.

"More than you know it" Stokes said and placed his hand on my shoulder. I tensed up and held myself together from shoving his hand off of me.

"Back to when I thought I could trust you" I mumbled and looked up at him. He removed his hand and shook his head.

"Jason I was doing my job. Also I was helping you" He said back and I stared back in shock and anger.

"You guys killing my brother was doing your job?!" I snapped at him. I made sure to keep the eye contact. I heard Mackenzie gasp. So much for her not finding out stuff about me today.

"He was involved with so much murders and bombed a cops funeral and was going to kill us all" Stokes said back to me. I wanted to fight him. I wanted to hurt him so bad.

"I helped bomb that funeral and you knew that, should you shoot me right now? Huh?" I raised my voice and stood up as I got in his face. I was getting to the point where I'm so angry I don't give a fuck where we are or who's around.

"Jason" I heard Mackenizes voice. I ignored her. She doesn't understand my pain.

"Yeah I was protecting you!" Stokes yelled back at me.

"Protecting me? By emptying your gun into my brother?" I yelled back. Standing in front of him only gave me flashbacks of what happened. Even though it was almost three years ago now, I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Suddenly, Mackenzie was in front of me. I felt her hands on my face. But I didn't break my eye contact with Stokes. I wanted to show him how angry I am.

"Hey relax please" Her voice was soft and she was begging me to relax. I looked down at her and was surprised to feel a little calm. I was speechless. "How about you go wait in the car and I'll get boxed for the rest of the food okay?" She asked me. She let go of my face so I nodded. I grabbed my wallet, took money out and slammed it on the table. I glanced over at Stokes before looking at Mackenzie again.

"I'll see you in the car Angel" I said to her in a low tone. I leaned down and kissed her quickly then walked out of the diner. I walked over to the car and leaned against it. I groaned.