Chapter 75 - "First Date"

[Correlates with Chapter 19-20 After The Runaway. Book 3]

"That's pretty much the story of it." I just got done explaining to Mackenzie the story of how I joined the gang and how it was growing up with a father who was apart of a gang. I didn't get too much into detail about my father and my childhood because I never do that anyway. We are sitting on couch and have been for the last hour since we put Drew to bed.

She's been home from the hospital for a few days now. Yesterday, she suddenly started to remember things about her child hood. She remembered Gigi then asked about Alissa and Becca. When we started to ask her questions about different things, she said she remembered what she did for her sixteenth birthday. So she remembers her first sixteen years of life. A year before she met me. Of course.

Also, Andrea flew home tonight so now it's just Mackenzie, Drew and I again.

"So you guys are pretty dangerous, huh?" Mackenzie asked now. I chuckled.

"Yeah we are" I answered.

"That's how we have money?" She asked and I nodded. "I have one more question than I'm done being annoying. I promise" She said which made me laugh. She's so cute.

"You're not annoying, I promise." I said with a smile.

"I have to admit though, I'm scared to ask you this" She said. I looked at her confused. What could be that bad?

"What is it? You can ask me anything" I told her.

"Have you killed anyone?" She asked and I went from confused to serious. That's weird that she would ask me that. Why would she?

"Why are you asking me that?" I asked her. I can tell she was a little taken back at how serious I am being now.

"I'm just curious. I figured since gangs do that-"

"Yes I have, but we don't speak about it" I told her so she didn't say anything else about it in front of the wrong people. She nodded and didn't say anything back. I stared at her trying to figure what she was thinking, but it's hard to do now a days. She looks like she saw a ghost. She couldn't look at me anymore.

"I'm going to sleep. Goodnight" She said as she stood up.

"Wait" I said as I stood up too. She looked at me again finally. "Why are you going-" I stopped talking because when I reached my hand out to her, she flinched a little by pulling her arm away. That made me a little sick. She's scared now.

"I'm tired. I really want to go to sleep" She said, but I scoffed. She's lying.

"There's no reason to be scared" I said shaking my head.

"I'm just tired" She said back.

"You weren't tired a minute ago-"

"Well I'm tired now. I'm going to bed. Good night" She said then turned, walking away from me. I sighed and didn't even chase after her.

I hate seeing how she got scared and wanted to get away from me. How will tomorrow be now? Is she going to act different with me? I really hope not. Maybe I should have said no, but I don't want to lie to her.

I sighed and sat back down. I feel like there's not much I could do right now. Maybe tomorrow I could make sure she has a good day and show to her that there's no reason to be scared and that I would never hurt her. I need to do something right for her tomorrow.

***

In the morning, she acted like the end of last night didn't happen. So I did the same. I made her breakfast then went out with Johnson just like I had planned. I went about the day like normal.