Chapter 48 - A Break

[Correlates with Chapter 21-23 of Fell For The Criminal. Book 2]

Today has been a shit show. I've already felt on edge because the last two nights Mackenzie has been coming home late and not even telling me where she has been. Which is weird. It's been causing little fights between us.

Then when I woke up this morning, I expected to get more of my medicine from my doctor today since I ran out yesterday, but this motherfucker had a 'family emergency' so I had to go through today without my pills. So I have been on the verge of an episode all day so I've stayed clear of everyone.

And now, it's the third night Mackenzie is still out late without me even knowing where she is. So to try to calm myself, I started drink. So now I'm drunk and off my meds. I'm annoyed, frustrated, on edge, shaky. Everything.

I heard the front door open so I walked out of the kitchen and saw Mackenzie walking in with a few bags in her hands. She made sure to shut the door very quietly behind her. She doesn't see me.

"Where were you?" I asked her scaring her. She looked over at me.

"You scared me" She said as she took a breath.

"Where were you?" I repeated myself.

"I was shopping" She told me as she turned the lights on.

"This late?" I asked her. I'm not stupid.

"Yes" She said quickly holding up the bags in her hands. As if I didn't see them. But again, she thinks I'm stupid

"It's almost midnight Mackenzie and the mall closed over an hour ago!" I raised my voice now. Her eyes widened. Oh she's surprised?

"After I left the mall, I had to go somewhere really quick before I came home" She told me and I laughed, fake obviously.

"Bullshit"

"Jason don't be such an asshole-" I cut her off.

"I'm the asshole?! Look at yourself Mack. Do you know what this looks like? Yeah maybe you have shopping bags, but the mall closed a while ago. I'm not stupid!" I yelled now. An asshole. Ha.

"Yeah? Are you really this stupid?" Now she raised her voice. Now I'm stupid? I opened my mouth to speak, but she kept going. "Don't cut me off. Think about it Jason! Think about what's next week!" She yelled. I looked at her confused.

"Don't make shit up-" She cut me off by groaning loudly.

"You're birthday Jason! I was shopping for your presents for two hours then went over to Ryan's to show him everything I got you!" She yelled at me. Well shit. I sighed. But what about the last two days?

"Angel I-"

"I don't want to hear it" She said then walked up stairs.

"Baby! I'm sorry" I yelled to her. She kept going, walked into our room and slammed the door shut. I should go up there. Thankfully I'm not drunk enough to where I can't walk up stairs. I made my way up the stairs and when I walked into the bedroom, she was standing there.

"Come on-" I went to speak, but again I was cut off.

"You thought I would cheat on you?" She asked me. I bit my lip and looked away. I don't want to say yes, but I don't want to lie. I did think it was possible with how sketchy she's been the last three days. She let out a fake laugh and I looked back at her. "How could you think that?"

"Because you gave me a reason to think that" I answered and her eyes widened.

"Oh did I? Staying out a little late one night? I can't believe you Jason" She said to me. One night? How about the last two? I wanted to say that, but I felt like my anger was taking over. She went to walk passed me, but I grabbed her arm. Not roughly. "Leave me alone" She said to me.