Chapter 66 - Five Years

[Correlates with Chapter 1-2 After The Runaway. Book 3]

Five years... That is how long I have been free again. That's how long we have been living on this island. And that is how old my child is. Our Drew is five now.

Living here has been a dream. Becoming a father is a feeling unlike anything I've ever felt before. It's amazing. It's matured me and changed me. I think Mackenzie and I have been doing amazing raising him. Even if we aren't together right now.

Two months ago, we broke up. I don't even know what to call it since we are still married. I don't fucking know. But it's been the worst pain I've had in a long time. It's been hard. I never thought we would ever break up. But we were getting to a point where it just wasn't healthy.

One day we got into the biggest fight ever. It started with something so stupid, but ended up being serious. We called it quits that night. I still can't believe I so willingly left. Maybe if I stayed that night, we would have worked through it the next day. I don't know. Maybe not.

I still see her everyday- well almost every day. Sometimes if she can't bare to see me, Lauren (Johnson's wife) comes over while I do. It's really sad. I need to fix it. We have no idea how to act with each other. But I miss her. I can't keep staying with Travis and Cameron. I need my life back to normal.

We tried to use the excuse that we have just been on this island for too long that we are going crazy. But who knows. Maybe she is just done with me. God I hope not. Ninety percent of my clothes and everything else is still in the house. It's stupid that I'm not there. But it was hard on us both. We were fighting so much we were scared it would affect Drew. So we did what we thought was the only option. A break.

Anyway, Travis and Cameron actually live a few houses down from Hunter and Gigi who have a two year old girl now. Johnson got married two years ago. Her name is Lauren and she knows all about the gang. She's super nice so it's crazy she stayed after hearing everything. I guess it's true love. They live one street over from us.

Gigi is a teacher at the school Drew goes to so she takes him to and from school most days which is great. We know he is safe. Sometimes I'll get him from school. But we are safe here. We haven't had any problems. We are still in business making our money.

I walked in my house and heard the tv on. I walked into the living room to see just Drew on the ground playing with toys. I guess Mackenzie is cooking dinner.

"Daddy!" Drew said loudly and excitedly once he saw me. That always puts a smile on my face.

"Hi buddy" I said back. I walked over and he gave me a hug. "Is mommy cooking?" I asked him. He nodded.

"Can you ask if it's done yet?" He asked me as he sat back down with his toys. I chuckled.

"Yes, I can bud." I said as I put my car keys in my pocket. I walked into the kitchen to see her back towards me as she is in front of the stove. "Hey"

"Hi" She said as she turned around to face me. I walked in more and leaned against the counter. "Staying for dinner?" She asked me. I never say no when she asks. I nodded.

"If it's not too late to make more for me" I said back.

"It's not too late" She said shaking her head then facing the stove again. I know she always cooks for three. She's always ready to have me here for dinner.

"How are you?" I asked even though I see her all the time.

"I'm okay, Jason" I heard her say back. I crossed my arms and looked down at my feet. "You?"