Chapter 40 - Hiding In Plain Sight

[Correlates with Chapter 95-98 of Don't Fall For The Criminal. Book 1]

I finally got in touch with the guys last night after I got back to the motel after seeing Mackenzie. It was hard to leave her, but I didn't want to stay in the neighborhood long.

Since I don't feel like it's safe to go to the house, I told the guys I'll meet them anywhere that isn't sketchy where the cops would look. The guys had a lot of ideas, but since the cops are kind of every where it was my idea to meet somewhere in plain sight where if I act normal, maybe I could get away with it. Johnson thinks it might be stupid, but as long as I have my hood up and don't look suspicious then I may be okay.

I decided Dunkin. The guys think I'm kind of crazy for this. Anyone might think I'm stupid for this. But I can't go to obvious areas. So maybe I could hid in plain sight. Unless someone calls the cops on me, but I really don't think any one will. Not everyone knows what I look like.

I also told them to have Mackenzie go too. I need to see her again. She needs to know what our plan is too. So I'm meeting her, Johnson, Hunter and Travis. Cameron is going to just drive around town see where cops are going and Kade is going to stay at the house to see if any cops watches the house.

I've been walking for a while now and I've reached the place finally. I had my hood up and just walked like normal. Even with my hurt leg. I walked in and saw them sitting in the corner where there's no windows. Mackenzie turned around and smiled once she saw me. She turned back around as I reached them.

"I told you that you'd see me soon" I quietly said to her as I sat down next to her.

"So last night wasn't a dream?" She asked. A dream? She thought she could have imagined that? I shook my head and smirked.

"It was real" I told her then I looked at the boys. Time to talk.

"You guys talked?" Johnson asked me. I nodded. I know he's going to say some shit about it.

"I went to her house last night" I openly told him. I'm not going to hide anything.

"McCann you could have got caught" He quietly said to me and he looked pissed.

"I could get caught right now" I said back. But I know what he means because they are patrolling neighborhoods. I looked over at Mackenzie who's just stared at me. "I'm sorry." I mouthed to her then I grabbed her hand. I hope she's okay. And I hope she will be once I leave town. I have to get a way for a little while.

"McCann come on focus" Hunter said to me getting my attention. I looked at the guys again.

"Maybe we can get our things and go to New York for a little" Travis suggested. That's what I was thinking too. But I do have other questions. I fucked this up for us.

"What about when we come back? What if he tells the police where we live?" I asked them. I felt Mackenzie squeeze my hand. But I have to think like this not only for me, but for the guys since it's their home too.

"We can figure that out. But right now we need to be careful. Jason what were you thinking?" Johnson asked me. I shook my head and bit lip. I don't even know where to start with what was on my mind.

"I'm going to the bathroom. I'll be right back" Mackenzie told us then got up and walked away.

"Did you call for a jet?" I asked Johnson.