Chapter 38 - A Promise

[Correlates with Chapter 89-90 of Don't Fall For The Criminal. Book 1]

I began to feel so happy as my eyes landed on Mackenzies car. No way... What weird timing. I was just going to go to the jewelry store to get her something nice. Maybe she should come with me.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and started to call her.

"Hey Jase" She answered pretty quickly.

"How much is that gas?" I joked with a little laugh. Then she laughed.

"Where are you?" She asked me.

"Come to the shopping center across the street when you're done. You'll see my car" I told her then I hung up.

After a few minutes, she was driving over here and parked right next to me. We both got out at the same time and she looked happy to see me. I grabbed her right away hugging her.

"Hey babe" I said then pulled away.

"What are you doing here?" She asked me.

"Well I was gonna get you something, but now that you're here. You're coming with me" I told her honestly. She just nodded with a little confused look on her face. I chuckled at her cute look and grabbed her hand. "Come on." I said and we started to walk towards the store. I wanted to get her a ring or a necklace, but I decided I could get us both the same chain. But now I'm thinking I could put a ring on her chain so she always has that on her.

"Where are we going?" She asked me. She'll figure it out once we get closer to the jewelry store.

"Surprise" I quietly answered her. We crossed the parking lot and then reached the side walk. "So how was school?" I asked her.

"It's Monday so tiring" She told me. I nodded understanding. "What did you do all day?" She asked me.

"Not much. I worked on stuff and slept" I told her. My eyes landed on a cop and I tensed up a little. He slowly drove by us. Everything's going to be fine though. I'm not being sketchy. Mackenzie squeezed my hand. She probably noticed how I got tense. We walked up to the store and she looked up at the sign confused.

"What are we doing here?" She asked me. I opened the door for her and ignored her question. We walked in and the lady behind the counter looked up at us with a smile.

"Hello!" She greeted us.

"Hi" Mackenzie said back.

"Hello" I said as I looked around.

"Is there anything specific that you two are looking for?" She asked us. I felt Mackenzies eyes on me.

"Kind of. We're just looking for right now" I told her and we walked over to the counter. I looked down at the chains under the glass.

"Do you have anything that you want me to get for you?" She asked us. I just started to look and she's asking?

"Not right now thank you" I responded as nice as I can without looking at her.

"Jason what did you plan on getting here? It's expensive here" Mackenzie asked now. I laughed at her. She thinks I care if it's expensive. I'll spend all my money on her. "I'm serious" She said so I finally looked at her again.

"Don't worry about it. Just pick one of these chains" I said as I pointed to the chains. The door opened so I looked over to see the same cop walking in. He wasn't looking at us so this is my time to walk away. I adjusted my hat after I let go of Mackenzies hand and I walked over to the lady.