Chapter 33 - A Wedding Date

[Correlates with Chapter 77-78 of Don't Fall For The Criminal. Book 1]

I'm not sure how great of an idea this is, but I'm doing it anyway. I found Mackenzies moms number this morning and called her to see if I should still go to this wedding with them. She said yes and gave me the address right away. So I know that since she said yes that there is still hope for me and Mackenzie. So I got out my suit and now here I am walking from my car to the building. I knew where to go because her mom told me where they were sitting for the moment.

I turned the corner and only saw her mom. She smiled over at me.

"Hi Jason." She greeted me.

"Hi" I said back with a smile. She gave me a tight hug. She reminds me of my mom in some ways. I think it's her kindness. "Does Mackenzie know I'm here?" I asked her. She shook her head.

"But she'll be happy to see you. She's been having a rough time and I know she misses you." She told me. She then looked down at her phone. "I'll tell her to come back. She went to sit on the beach."

"I was worried I had no chance." I said and she lifted her head from her phone and smiled at me.

"That girl is head over heels for you." She said making me smile. "I have to go back in this room, but you can stay here and she will be back within the next minute." I nodded and she walked into the other room now. After last night, I wasn't sure if I should try harder or give up. But when I woke up this morning, something was telling me not to give up. I knew I had to do something. And honestly, I have a good feeling. I leaned against the wall and waited. I'm not nervous, to be honest.

I heard the sound of heels hitting the ground coming closer and closer. I hope it's Mackenzie. I just looked at the ground and took a deep breath. I got this. What's the worst that could happen?

"Jason?" I heard her voice. I looked up and smiled once my eyes landed on her. Again, she looks amazing. "W-what are you doing here?" She asked in a confused tone, but it kind of looked like she was fighting a smile.

"I told you I would be your date for this. I called your mom and asked her if it was a good idea for me to come. I had to make sure you didn't hate me" I said to her and for the first time, she seems happy to see me.

"I don't hate you" She told me and I smirked. I looked her up and down. She never fails to amaze me. She gets more beautiful every day and I didn't know that was possible. "Do you want to go talk before it starts? We have an hour" She asked me and I nodded. I'm really glad I came here. I can't believe I was an idiot and almost gave up when I barely even tried. "Come on" She said and turned around walking away. I smirked and shook my head as I began to follow her. I caught up to her and walked next to her now. We walked in a comfortable silence to the beach, where she stopped and took off her heels. She held the bottom of her dress up as we stepped into the sand.

"I got the heels" I said as I grabbed her heels for her hand. She smiled a little bit at me. It's about time she smiled at me. It's been days. We walked over to a bench and sat down. "Are you okay?" I asked her as I looked over at her. She looked at me and shook her head.

"Are you?" She asked back. I shook my head being honest and looked at the ocean.

"I got my pills again" I let her know, but I couldn't look at her when I said it. It's one thing I don't want to talk about with her, but I know I should.

"That's good. Don't throw them away again. I hope you know you could tell me anything Jase. Why did you try so hard to keep it a secret?" She asked and I looked away from the ocean and to my lap.