Chapter 72 - Memory

[Correlates with Chapter 13-14 After The Runaway. Book 3]

"Then he told me they didn't have it. So all that was for nothing." I told Cameron and Ava this story that everyone always thinks is so funny. It wasn't in the moment, but it's funny now.

"Bro, I would have punched that guy so hard." Cameron said back after he stopped laughing. I felt a stare on me then someone in the side of my vision so I looked over and was surprised to see Mackenzie. Oh no. Fuck.

"Angel" I said out loud. She looks so mad and upset.

"I knew it" She said with a laugh as she shook her head. I know what she must be thinking. I know how it looks. "Take me back home Lauren" She said as she looked to her right. I saw Lauren who I didn't even notice because it was like Mackenzie was the only person I saw. Lauren pulled her away and they quickly walked off.

"Was that your wife?" Ava asked me as I put my drink down.

"Yeah. Guys I have to go. I'm sorry." I said as I stood up. I said I would stay with Cameron all night to do what he wanted to do later, but I can't. Mackenzie comes first. Cameron stood up quickly.

"Don't be sorry." Ava said back shaking her head.

"I'm his ride home." Cameron told her which made her stand up.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" She asked him with a little smile.

"Of course." He said back to her. He kissed her cheek then I turned around and walked off without saying a word. I need to get home quickly. "Bro, do not tell her." Cameron said to me as he caught out to me.

"I have to." I said back to him.

"No, don't. You can't." I stopped walking which made him stop walking.

"And why fucking not? She for sure thinks I'm cheating." I snapped at him.

"Because remember last time? She tried to stop it even after it happened. She will ruin my plans. And you know it. Just tell her you can't tell her right now, but you will soon. We will think of something to tell her. But she's not going to find out about this." He said to me.

"Fine." I said shaking my head. "Let's go." I am going to tell her, but not tonight. Hopefully she'll understand.

***

Once I got home, I quickly ran up the stairs. She's not downstairs so she must be in our room. I walked into the room quickly and saw her standing by the dresser. She looks so upset. It hurt me.

"Angel-"

"'Business'? Really?" She asked as she crossed her arms. I shut the door and walked closer.

"It's not what you think" I said even though that's what people who cheat say.

"Then what is it? Huh?"

"I can't tell you" I said then sighed. I hope she tries to understand. But I know how it seems.

"Wow" She said rolling her eyes.

"No I know what you're thinking, but it's not-"

"You can't tell me what you were doing with her?" She asked me. I just stared back at her as I tried to think of what to say. Usually I'm good at this. But when it comes to her, I get stuck because I hate lying to her. "Get out please. Just leave me alone. I want to be alone" I snapped at me. It took me by surprise. It reminded me of our break up. It made me feel worse.

"Mack, stop don't do this" I begged as I stepped closer. But she stepped back. She didn't want to be near me. I guess I can't blame her. "Don't you trust me?" I asked her. I saw her heist and that hurt so much more.