Chapter 37 - Mission

[Correlates with Chapter 86-88 of Don't Fall For The Criminal. Book 1]

I did not sleep at all last night. I regretted saying yes to Mackenzie coming on the mission today. But she begged and begged and would not fucking stop. Everyone disagreed with me. They all want her to come. So I'm angry and now anxious. Which I never get like this on missions.

We made the plan last night. And the way that things have to go is what is kind of making me a little anxious because I have to place a bomb down stairs after stealing some things and Mackenzie is going up stairs with Kade and Hunter. So I can't even be next to her to protect her. All they need to do is find a key and code then the guys place a bomb down after we get the information we need.

I took a deep breath as we all got out of the van. Mackenzie was walking in front of me and I grabbed her arm to stop her. She looked back at me confused.

"Are you ready?" I asked her. She nodded and it looked like she took a deep breath too. Without saying anything else because we need to be fast, I just kissed her then we followed everyone inside. She followed Kade and Hunter to the elevator and didn't even look back. I watched them step in then I looked over at Johnson and Travis.

"Ready?" Johnson asked me. I nodded.

"Let's do it." I said then we walked down a hallway.

About twenty minutes pass by and we finished what we were doing and set a long timer on the bomb. We walked to the front doors and I started to freak out a little in my head as we waiting for the rest of the guys and Mackenzie.

"I can't believe you guys talked me into this." I mumbled to Johnson and Travis.

"She'll be fine." Johnson said to me. I heard footsteps and I quickly looked over to see only Kade.

"Where the fuck is she?" I asked him.

"Her and Hunter are coming. Relax." He said as he walked out. "She figured out the code so fast, bro." He told me.

"Really?" I asked and he nodded.

"Come on!" I heard Hunter yell. I looked over into the building to see them both running out the door now.

"Everyone back up!" Johnson yelled at us. I wasn't going to until he started to pull me back.

"Stop!" I yelled at him. I tried to break away, but he didn't let go. As the blast started to exit the building, my heart raced since Mackenzie was so close. But Hunter grabbed her as they started to hit the ground and he protected her. Johnson finally let go of me and I started to run towards Mackenzie. She coughed as she stood up.

"Mackenzie!" I yelled to her. She was rubbing her head. I hope she's okay. The second I reached her, I grabbed her pulling her to my body and said, "Oh my god." My hearts racing and I don't know what I would have done if she got hurt. She held me tightly. I pulled my face away and kissed her quickly. "Is your head okay?" I asked as I put my hand on her head softly. She nodded.

"I'm okay" She said with a little smile. The relief I felt I started to smile too.

"You're okay" I said in shock and hugged her again.

"Let's get out of here McCann!" Johnson yelled so I pulled away and kissed her quickly again.

"You did it baby" I said then grabbed her hand and started to run for the van. As proud of her as I am, never again will I let her come with us. That was scary and made the mission more stressful. I worry about her and I never want to be the reason she gets hurt.