Strive 53.5 Part 1: Tao's Event #3

Kibishi's POV

After the morning meeting, Tao and I relax in my room. We invited Kuma and Jir to join us, but they declined and said they wanted to explore the city for a bit. So I guessed it's me and Tao for now.

Anyway, we both were in my room, chatting away.

Kibishi's Room...

"Kishi, are your heart doing fine?" Tao asked.

"Yup! I take some meds, and it's all good now! What about you? Are you okay? Are you stressing out?" I ask with a worried expression.

"I can't be stressed with you around.  You make me feel safe." Tao says while holding my right hand with hers, "There's so much more I can do to help you! I want to hear what you have to say after all of this. I'm so excited for our future, Kishi. I want to be with you until the day I die."

"Me, too." I nodded.

"Kishi, if you don't mind me asking, why do you care about me so much?" Tao asked.

I widen my eyes in shock. "What kind of question is that, Tao?!". I smile at her. "You're worth protecting! You're so precious to me, Tao! I don't need any other reason to care about you! I want us to be together forever! That's my end goal in all of this! Once this is over, I can finally ask my question..."

"Why at the end?" Tao wonders.

"I don't know. I feel as though that's the right thing to do. If I ask it now, I'm unsure if you can answer it. And I doubt I can ask it right, anyway." I explain. 

"I see. I wonder what the question is?" Tao said.

"It's something that's been in my mind ever since I was a little kid. Something that might've explained my whole thing regarding your safety. With you in general, Tao." I explain.

"I see..." Tao blushes.

"Hey, Tao?" I put a straight face.

"What is it?" Tao puts on a curious expression. "I don't want you to feel bad for giving your opinions, okay? Sure, we might not have evidence of the connection; we know it's there. But we will soon enough.  The more we look, the most likely the clue will show up. We just need to try harder." I said.

"Yes, we must." Tao nodded.

"With that said, let's read some books!" I smiled.

"Oh, lovely!~" Tao had a grin crawling on her face. "Hehe!" I laughed.

One hour later...

Tao was sitting between my legs while reading me a story aloud. "And then they both live happily ever after. The End."

Close!

"*Sighs* Oh man, what a story! I'm so moved!" I said.

"Right? That plot twist was so good! The pacing was a bit off in the beginning, but the book's author has a great payoff!"  Tao explains. "I wonder if we can read another one now?" Tao wonders as she looks around the room. "I would love to, but we must wait until another time. I want to get up and look around the city today." I said.

"I-I see. S-sorry for making it all about me, Kishi." Tao says while blushing from embarrassment.

"Nah! You did nothing wrong!" I said. 

"I see." Tao slowly gets off the bed and dusts her skirt. "Well, I guess it's time for me to head towards my room.". "Let me walk you there, Tao," I suggested. "No need. I can walk there myself. Plus, I don't want to take up too much of your precious time, Kishi. It's fine. Really," Tao said.