CHAPTER 79

"will you come to the sentencing hearing? You can also make a VPS if you want."

Minjeong got a call from Sungmin, talking about James's case updates. She's currently in her office at the company.

"should I?" Minjeong asked.

"If you need and want to. We'll inform you about the hearing if you're not willing to attend."

"maybe I should ask Jimin first. We'll think about it." Minjeong responded. "I'm just glad that he's found guilty."

"yeah, me too. I'm not the one in charge of his case. it was like about fifteen years ago. My senior who has investigated his case passed away and the other detectives were struggling since then." Sungmin shared. "he's this close to find his hideout, but, sadly he has to go. He's not killed, FYI." He stifles.

"wow. My family has been working with a criminal." Minjeong sighs. "wait, haven't you told me about his businesses? One of them is some kind of drugs, right?"

"all of the crimes and evidence to support the sentence will be explained at the hearing."

"I just wanna know. Did I miss something?" Minjeong caught something. "this is related to my dad."

"oh, we didn't look it up since you didn't say anything about it."

"you didn't hide anything from me, right?" Minjeong is getting skeptical.

"look, Minjeong. I told you what I already know." Sungmin sighs. "I gotta go. I'll keep you updated if I found something about your dad."

"I'll visit. Don't you avoid me."

-

Minjeong enters Sungmin's office calmly. On the other hand, Sungmin looks nervous.

"look..." Minjeong sits across him. "I don't know why you're hiding it and I actually don't care. I won't talk about it as well. I just want you to be honest before I let go of my past."

"I want you to focus on your case only. Besides, you paid me to do what you asked and you never told me about your dad." Sungmin gave a safe answer.

"I told you about my background and you know enough about my family." Minjeong keeps her eyes on him. "I saw him in bed with my own two eyes, doesn't look like someone with a heart problem."

"I told you already. I'm new to James's case. all I know is whatever happened in your life, might have a connection to him. now, would you please, let it go?" Sungmin gave in.

"I knew it." Minjeong clenched her teeth. "I'll come to the hearing."

"do you want to open the case again? If so, I can ask for the files." Sungmin offered.

"it's okay. it'll be a lot work." Minjeong nods understandingly. She knows it won't change something significantly. James will still be sentenced according to the law. "I'd like to make a VPS."

"okay. in what format?"

"I'll read it myself in court." Minjeong wants to say her last words before moving on from his toxic business.

"alright. You can prepare it and send it to me. I'll take care of the rest until the day you have to read it."

-

Jimin enters the bedroom after putting Gunhoo to sleep. she noticed that Minjeong is busy with her laptop.

"what you doing?" Jimin wraps her arms around her neck, looking at the screen. "victim's personal statement?"

"Sungmin asked if I want to come to the hearing and he offered me to make a VPS to read at the hearing." Minjeong turned her chair around to face her. "so, I accepted. I will come to the hearing and read my VPS."

"oh, that's great." Jimin responded. "when is it?"

"in two weeks. I might not be able to read on the first day." Minjeong turns her chair back, facing the laptop. "they still need to check my statements and I'm sure that his hearing won't be done in one day."

"okay. is it gonna be long?" Jimin checks on the half full page on the monitor.

"doesn't need to be that long. I just wanna say what I want to say to him and how his actions affected us." Minjeong glanced at her. "do you wanna come as well?"

"sure." Jimin gladly accepted. "what about Gunhoo, though? Would leaving him with Alice a good idea?" she walks to the bed and lied down, getting ready to sleep.

"Chaewon can take care of him. Jen can visit too." Minjeong suggested.

"right..." Jimin nods, agreeing to her. "let's go to bed, babe."

"right away, love."

-

-

-

On the day of the hearing, Minjeong and Jimin walk into the courtroom while holding hands. The two takes a seat at the front seat, calmly waiting for all the guests, victims, judge, and the defendant's team.

"will they drop the sentence today?" Jimin whispered to Minjeong.

"I don't know."

They then start following the series of procedures of the court. A slow and structured event started off with stating all the crimes that James did. of course, both of them noticed how messy he looks by his uncut hair, orange outfit, solemn face, and his uneasy gestures. Minjeong can tell that he's in so much stress while in jail.

"the motives were pretty obvious." Minjeong commented, leaning a bit towards Jimin.

"so it's all for money?" Jimin replied.

"pretty much. all his crimes were for wealth and his family's life. Too bad. he could be the best businessman if he did it properly." Minjeong sighs.

"...and you have any individuals who'd like to make a statement?" the judge asked the prosecutor.

"yes, your honour." The prosecutor looks at Minjeong and she stands up from her seat. They give her the statement paper that she submitted. "your honour, this is Kim Minjeong, as one of the victim of Mr. Camelot's crime."

"please state your name for the record."

"I'm Kim Minjeong." Minjeong stood before the podium. She looks down at the paper and braces herself. "I'm here on behalf of my father, late wife and son, and my current partner, that are also a victim of Mr. Camelot. These words that's about to state are going to go directly to Mr. Camelot. We've been through a lot of times together as a partner in business and honestly, I do put a lot of respect in the good things that you do to help me, as well as my family. Before anything, I supposed you know my late wife and son, Chaehyun and Chaemin. I was depressed and I lost my spirit in life because someone decided to take them away from me when they're all that I had. You, in fact, have been treating me like your own daughter since my father passed away. I really appreciate your help at that time. though I'm not a perfect person to manage a company myself, you offered your help generously, asking me to think that we're a family." Minjeong takes a deep breath.

"then, you showed up one day with your wonderful daughter, Lee Chaeyoung. At that time, I was already close to my current partner. I was starting to put a lot of suspicions towards you because it seems like you want me and my partner to stay away from each other. For short, you made my partner work for your daughter with improper written contract resulting in excessive working hour. You've asked me to be your daughter's company for weeks while I'm having trouble with my partner." Minjeong cleared her throat.

"then, the day happened. The day where my world shattered upon hearing that my partner has been hit by a truck, the same truck that hit my late family. It was the most terrifying day of my life, knowing that I might not be able to see my partner again. I was back to myself five years ago. Everything had lost its meaning and I almost give up. so, I decided to take the matters in my own hands. I know you wouldn't let me do what I want as you're so powerful in any aspect. So, you decided to kidnap, abuse, torture, and force me to agree to do what you want. I've been in my worst state at that time and, again, I lost hope and got depressed over it." Minjeong looks at James afterwards.

"I already forgive you and all the worst things that that you did to me. I just want you to think and reflect on what you did to all the people you killed, mentally and or physically. I hope you get the appropriate punishment legally and forgive yourself." Minjeong lets out a deep breath. "thank you your honour."