Chapter 78

Gary was lying on his side next to Sam with Lily between them, Sam was still unconscious. "Ma'am" a guff voice called from the doorway. "Thank you" Ellie said and walked over to him. Gary had no idea what was going on. He was fully fixated on the little baby beside him, his own eyes staring at him. "Ah fuck" Ellie hissed behind him and he turned over. "What are you doing?" He raised his eyebrow. "Trying to put a top on, what's it look like I'm doing!?" She growled irritably. "Stop it you'll hurt yourself" Gary shook his head and sat up, swinging his legs over the side of the bed. "I'm cold!" She moaned. "Your going to pull your stitches if you keep stretching your arm, trust me I know. Now, give me the top." He ordered, sticking his hand out. "What! No" Ellie frowned at him. "I'm going to help you put it on!" Gary argued. "I'm not a baby!" Ellie hissed. "Ellie! Just....give...it here!" They started fighting over the top.

"Err, am I interrupting?" A voice called from the door "Cos last I looked the woman lying on the bed should be the only one half naked in front of you Gary" Marjorie said from the doorway. "Mum" He smiled. "What's going on?" She asked. "Ellie got hurt and she won't let me help her" Gary explained to his mother. "I'm not a baby!" She repeated. "No your hurt! For gods sake, just let me help you!" "Fine" she hissed and let go of the top.

"What the hell is this?" Gary asked looking at a stain of blood already on the top. "Look what you've done!" He shook his head running his long fingers lightly across the wound picking up blood. "Your stitches are alright, just pass me that gauze and tape." He said pointing to the equipment Ellie had used on Lily's cut. She walked over picked them up and shoved them towards Gary's chest. He took them and gently stuck the material over Ellie's wound. "Happy? Now give me my top" She pointed to it, sitting beside Gary on the bed. "Your not wearing that, it's got blood on it." "Well I don't have anything else!" Gary pushed himself off the bed and shuffled to his bag where he pulled out a grey tshirt. "No way, I don't want to smell like you!" She shook her head. "Don't lie, I know you do" he smiled grabbing one wrist and sticking her arm through the sleeve. He was slightly gentler with the second arm because he didn't want to pull the skin to tight around her bullet wound. "Turn around" he said and she complied. He pulled the top over her head and it fell loosely around her torso. 'It certainly smells good' she thought.

"I always knew you'd be a good father" Marjorie said from the other side of the bed. "Huh? Oh right" Gary picked Lily up and sat back against the pillows. "How long until she wakes up?" Marjorie asked. "They don't know, she got a pretty big dose" he sighed. "Oh, well I hope it's not to much longer" Marjorie sighed.

***

'I need it. I need to feel something, it's almost been a week. I wonder if Sam will notice I'm gone? She'll understand won't she? Maybe, maybe not. But I can't leave Lily here. I wonder if I can convince Ellie to go get it for me. Or maybe I can get Rob to bring it here?' Gary reached for his phone and opened a new message to Robbie 'I need a favour'