~Chapter 2~

Josephine lies on her bed, gazing at the ceiling, thoughts swirling about the previous night

Grateful for Regulus' warning, she can't shake the worry that he might have succumbed to joining Tom and the Death Eaters. The mere possibility urges her to consider destroying the two known Horcruxes immediately, despite lacking information about the others' whereabouts.

Shifting onto her side, she reflects on the night before when they returned home and recounted what happened at the game to Karina before Josephine retreated to her room.

Aware of her own self-harm tendencies, she acknowledges the unhealed bruises, contemplating whether her reluctance to heal them stems from a subconscious desire to feel the pain. She knows she can easily use a simple healing spell to alleviate it, but instead, she lets the ache persist, particularly in her ribs.

Though the pain is present with every breath, she reassures herself that they are only bruised, not broken. Despite closing her eyes to recollect everything that happened at the game, she finds nothing significant in the Ara situation, leaving her puzzled by the gesture of the mirror gift.

Glancing at the bedside table where the mirror lies face down, she sighs, grappling with the confusion. Attempting to plan the day ahead, she reminds herself that her work has concluded with the approach of the school term, leaving her to hope for another job opportunity the following summer.

As she sits up, momentarily wincing from the pain, she resolves to navigate through the day despite the discomfort.

Her breath hitches for several moments before gradually returning to its regular rhythm.

Perhaps diverting her mind towards her upcoming birthday, only days away, can provide a temporary distraction. It marks the first birthday void of James, Euphemia, and Fleamont—wishing, at times, for a return to the days before everything changed.

A knock interrupts her thoughts, prompting her to straighten up. "Come in!" she responds as Alora enters, wearing a welcoming smile.

"We're baking cookies. Want to join?" Alora invites.

"Sure," Josie replies, masking any signs of discomfort as she rises from her bed and follows Alora. Together, they make their way to the kitchen where Karina is busy mixing ingredients.

As Alora and Josie pitch in, preparing everything for the cookie dough, Alora initiates a conversation. "So, your birthday's approaching."

"Yep," Josephine acknowledges, rearranging some items on the counter to create more space.

"What do you want for your birthday?" Alora inquires.

"You don't have to get me anything. Allowing me to stay here is enough," Josie insists, but Karina's glare expresses a different sentiment.

"Of course, we're getting you something!" Karina retorts.

Josie fidgets with her nails, already feeling a tinge of guilt. "Fine," she relents with a sigh. "Maybe some books..." she finally settles on.

Alora chuckles as Josie continues organizing a few items, her thoughts still preoccupied. At times, she wishes she could silence the constant stream of her own thoughts.