~Chapter 54~

"Are you even listening?" Evan's inquiry pierces the air

"Yes," Josephine promptly replies, although her attention wanders elsewhere.

Evan shoots her a glance as they proceed toward Defense Against the Dark Arts.

"You aren't listening," Evan shakes his head in disappointment.

"I'm sorry," Josie responds, her tone perhaps too grave, judging by Evan's reaction.

"I'll forgive you if you tell me who gave you that," he gestures towards the dark bruise on her wrist.

"It doesn't matter," Josephine rolls her eyes, exasperated by Evan's persistence in prying into her affairs.

"Josette," Evan's tone grows more serious.

"Oh, look, we're already at the classroom," Josephine swiftly changes the subject, hastening her steps as they near the entrance.

Upon entering, they both survey the rearranged classroom.

"What the fuck..." Evan mutters, clearly unimpressed. "I was hoping to catch some sleep in this class."

A faint smirk tugs at her lips as she joins Evan in the corner, unaware that Regulus occupies the same spot.

"Hey," Evan greets Regulus.

Josephine forces a smile before leaning against the wall beside Evan.

"Do you know what's going on?" Evan inquires.

Regulus nods. "Apparently, he's selecting pairs for dueling."

"Really?" Josephine leans in, catching Regulus's gaze, a mixture of annoyance and attraction stirring within her.

She hates how he stares at her, yet it also ignites something inexplicable.

Regulus nods once more, prompting Josephine to recline against the wall once again as the professor enters the room.

Upon reaching the front, his piercing blue eyes scan the room.

"I've assigned each of you a dueling partner for today," he announces. "No severe spells, and stick to what you've learned in class!"

He claps his hands, adding, "I'll announce the pairings shortly."

Slowly, the professor begins calling out names.

Evan and Regulus find themselves paired together, a situation that elicits a chuckle from Josie.

"Don't kill each other," she teases, earning a laugh from Evan. "Tell that to Regulus. He's mastered more complex spells," Evan jokes.

Regulus remains silent, his gaze fixed on Marcus, the Slytherin whom Josephine has been paired with.

Before she can even approach Marcus, Regulus gently grasps her arm, his voice a soft warning. "Be careful with Marcus. He's into dark spells."