~Chapter 71~

"I was thinking

"I was thinking..." Josephine begins tentatively over breakfast at Nylas once more. "Can I buy a house?"

Seated beside her cousin Evie, Josephine glances at her cousin's bright smile, a hint of mischief dancing in her eyes.

Finn, Nyla's significant other, seems like a decent guy. It is evident he cherishes Nyla above all else.

Nyla arches her brows in response to Josephine's inquiry.

"I just don't want to impose on you for however long I stay," Josephine explains, a casual shrug accompanying her words. "So I am considering buying a house."

A few days earlier, while leaving the bar, Josephine spots a charming house for sale nearby. It captivates her, and she has the financial means to make it hers. Moreover, she envisions it as a retreat for her friends, a place to escape to without feeling guilty about burdening her aunt.

"You're welcome to stay as long as you need," Nyla assures her. "But if you want to buy a house, it's your money. I could even...persuade the seller with a little memory charm to think you're old enough to make the purchase."

Josephine chuckles. "I saw a house for sale nearby. Maybe we could go check it out?"

"Can I tag along?" Evie chimes in, her smile infectious.

"Of course," Josephine replies, returning Evie's smile.

To keep herself from crumbling, Josephine resorts to pretense: fake smiles, fake laughter, and pretending everything is fine until it becomes reality, though that rarely happens.

Hours later, Josephine, Nyla, and Evie stroll toward the house, a mere ten-minute walk away. Nyla has arranged for them to view the property, contacting the seller in advance.

As they approach the house, Josephine is struck anew by its breathtaking beauty.

Painted in an elegant off-white hue, the house boasts magnificent architecture. Its two stories are adorned with small sections designed to showcase delicate statues, while inviting steps lead up to the grand entrance. Balconies extend gracefully, offering a charming view. Near the back, Josephine glimpses the shimmering waters of a nearby lake.

As they walk up the driveway, a smiling man awaits them near the door. "Hello!" he greets warmly as they approach.

"Hello," Nyla responds, shaking his hand.

While the price of the house isn't exactly cheap, Josephine can't help but feel it's worth every penny, given its prime location and stunning aesthetics.

Unlocking the door, the man ushers them inside. Josephine's eyes widen at the sight that greets her. The entrance hallway features a dazzling chandelier hanging from the ceiling, with intricate white detailing adorning both walls and ceiling. A staircase, flanked by black railings, adds to the grandeur of the space.