~Chapter 45~

"I'll be back," Josephine assures Mary

They are engrossed in their library session, tackling charms assignments, and navigating the intricate rules of their fabricated relationship. The consensus is that kissing is acceptable, hand-holding is encouraged, and, if necessary, they can lean on each other as convenient excuses.

In reality, it is akin to a friendship with a few added layers, offering mutual benefits, and the expiration date will be determined as circumstances require.

Mary, Josie notes, is genuinely kind, and she can envision a sincere interest in her. Yet, the lingering allure of the pain associated with Regulus keeps her from fully embracing a new connection.

Admittingly, part of Josie's inclination for revenge stems from her previous understanding of Regulus's actions.

Josephine rises from her seat, making her way to the table where Evan and Barty sit. Barty seems to be coercing Evan into studying.

Picking at her nails discreetly, Josie speaks, "I want to apologize." Evan raises his brows, and Barty's lips twitch, but he nods. "I've been neglecting everyone, and I just wanted to apologize."

Evan reassures her, "It's alright, Josette. We understand."

With a smile, she inquires, "Do you know where Pandora is? I need to talk with her."

"I'm pretty sure she's in the courtyard," Barty replies.

"Thank you," Josephine expresses her gratitude then she returns to the table where Mary remains seated. "I need to go talk with my friend, if that's alright. I'll come in a few minutes."

Mary responds with a soft smile, "Alright."

Exiting the library, Josephine reminds herself of Mary's upcoming birthday and the looming Valentine's Day, causing an emotional wave that threatens tears. Fortunately, there is no dance this year, sparing her the agony of witnessing Regulus dancing with another girl. The mere thought stirs anger within her.

Turning the corner, Josie collides with someone she quickly recognizes as Regulus. Time seems to stand still as everything freezes. Regulus looks tired, sick, and visibly upset, with deep bags under his eyes.

Taking a step back, Josie picks at her nails behind her back while Regulus scans her for a moment. She wonders about his thoughts. Is he noticing her fatigue and weight loss?

Without saying anything, Josephine brushes past him, resisting the urge to reach out. She doesn't look back as she exits the castle and ventures into the courtyard.

Outside, she forces herself to take deep breaths, attempting to ignore the ache in her throat and chest. This time, it works – perhaps due to a recent panic attack that has somewhat reset her emotions.

Taking another deep breath, Josephine scans the courtyard for Pandora. She intends to share with her the truth about fake dating Mary, needing someone to confide in and unsure if she can bear another secret.

"Hello!" Pandora's soft voice greets her from beside Josephine.

Turning, Josie smiles, saying, "Hi, Pandora."

Pandora's face lights up with a small smile, and the light strands of hair near her face are elegantly pulled back in braids. Her cheeks have a subtle flush.

"Are you alright?" Pandora tilts her head with furrowed brows.

"Yes, but I wanted to apologize," Josie takes a few steps closer to Pandora.

Pandora shakes her head, reassuring her, "There is no reason to apologize, Josie. I understand."

Josie's shoulders drop, and she sighs. "Thank you, Pandora." Pandora smiles, gesturing for Josephine to walk with her.

"Now, what else are you worrying about?" Pandora inquires.

Josie pauses, turning to look at Pandora. "I may have come up with a plan for revenge."

"Oh?" Pandora raises a brow.

"It might be wrong, but... I may have made an agreement with Mary McDonald to fake date her."

Pandora bursts into laughter. "That's good," she manages to say between laughs.

"Are you sure? Because I know Regulus is your brother–"

"No," Pandora cuts her off. "Stop thinking about how I may feel or how he may feel. If this helps you, then do it." Pandora gives her a sad smile. "You've been looking like a sad puppy for days. I just want you to feel alright."

Josephine chuckles slightly. "Thank you, Pandora." Their walk continues for a few more moments.

Josie tries her best to push away all thoughts, especially those telling her she is weak for showing any hint of sadness. Maybe, she muses, she could attempt to suppress all emotions.

~~~~~
Guys....im changing my username. Slut for anakin was iconic but....i want people to be able to find me easier AND i'm making an insta cause tiktok is getting banned🤮. my new username is hauntedhues (also only 4 chapters this time sorry guys💔💔)