~Chapter 12~

Josephine finds herself in Helena's dorm, immersed in the act of jotting down spell ideas

With the newfound knowledge that she can create spells that actually work, her mind teems with innovative concepts.

Typically, her ideas are rooted in existing spells, but she relishes twisting them in unexpected ways.

Take the latest spell she created, for instance—a blinding flash that temporarily impairs others' vision.

Josie meticulously documents these spells in a journal, including the instructions for their creation. As her quill lightly taps on the pages, she contemplates another idea. What spells could truly be beneficial for her?

Deadly ones.

Her breath catches, acknowledging the harsh reality. Josephine feels compelled to create spells with lethal potential. Yet, she knows it won't be easy; precision and intent is crucial. Otherwise, it would be mere words with minimal effect.

Unforgivable curses are, well, unforgivable. However, legal spells could inflict significant harm, such as love spells or fire spells leading to burning someone to death. Perhaps Josephine needs to venture into creating spells of that nature.

Flipping through the pages of her Latin reference, she pauses on a particular page. The Latin word appears to be fitting for the type of spell she envisions.

Leaning forward, she writes the first word before flipping through a few more pages to find the complementary term she needs.

"Spectus Mortis," Josephine whispers under her breath. But what does she want the spell to achieve?

Drain the life force out of someone.

Josie tries to focus solely on the spell creation. After all, she can't test this on someone.

She extends her hand for her wand and seizes it, making a subtle movement. "Spectus Mortis," she whispers, closing her eyes to visualize her desired outcome.

Josephine senses the magic's energy poised to leave her wand, but with no one present, the spell yields no effect.

Well, hopefully, it will prove effective when the need arises.

She sighs before closing her books and initiating the cleanup.

Her attention snags on the mirror lying face down on the floor. For some inexplicable reason, she has brought the mirror into the dorm with her. It feels like an impulse guided by her subconscious.

Even though she harbors no desire to converse with Ara again.

Josephine can't fathom why Ara feels the need to contact her, given her knowledge of Josie's role as a spy. Yet, Helena has a point—perhaps Ara holds valuable information.

Another concern looms in her mind: Tom. He covets the necklace hidden inside her bedside table. Now, he aims to fashion it into a Horcrux. The idea that a necklace could aid in toppling Dumbledore seems implausible. He just seeks another Horcrux.

There has to be a reason he chose her to retrieve it. Is it symbolic? Does he specifically want another Ravenclaw heir to acquire an heirloom for Horcrux transformation? Or are descendants of Rowena attuned to finding the necklace?

It could very well be a combination of both.

Without conscious thought, her hand reaches for the mirror. She grasps the cold metal, the sound of her rings hitting the mirror resonating in the room.

Once again, she finds herself gazing at her reflection until another face materializes. At least, this time, it doesn't evoke fear.

"Ara," she simply says.

Ara's lips curl into a smirk. "Little spy," she greets.

Ara's hair is down this time, and Josephine can't deny the allure of its color.

"What is it this time?" Josephine asks. "Come to question me again?"

Ara shakes her head with a laugh. "So serious," she teases.

Josephine narrows her eyes. "I'm cautious."

"Why?" Ara tilts her head. "We are on the same side, are we not?"

It feels like a test.

"We are, but that doesn't mean I condone the killing of innocent people," Josephine asserts. Death is a peculiar concept, yet she comprehends its weight. She has felt death the day that man died, his haunting face etched in her memory.

Ara hums. "The Potter ego shining through."

"Is it egotistical to care for others?"

Ara rolls her eyes. Josephine sighs, absentmindedly picking at her nails.

"So why exactly do you want to tal–" Josie is cut off as a door opens behind Ara.

Ara swiftly pushes the mirror down, plunging Josie into darkness with muffled voices.

"Ara," a muffled voice says. Josie can't discern the speaker.

"Lord," Ara replies.

Tom, then.

Ara has concealed the mirror from Tom. Why?

Even if he doesn't know Ara is communicating with Josie, there is no point in hiding it unless Ara has other motives.

She overhears some muffled conversation.

Then Ara raises the mirror. Her face displays a blank mask.

This time, it is Josephine who smiles. "Hiding the mirror from our lord? Don't want him to know about our little talks?" she taunts.

Ara glares but remains silent. "You make me more curious every time we talk," Josie says.

"I need to go," Ara declares. Then, a second later, her face fades from the mirror.

Josephine places the mirror face down on the floor, pondering Ara's true intentions.